Rooftop AC

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SHC, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    One word for this: HONDA. I use a 2500 ei . Will run 8-9 hours with 6000 BTU AC. 2.7 gallon tank on the unit, carry a 1 gallon gas can to walk across the lot 2 time to fill it up. DOT is fine with it because it has a shutoff valve between the tank and the carb. Also runs the block heater all night. Will also charge the batteries if needed. All for $1300. Webasto keeps me warm. Wasted my money on an ONAN, built way to light for our use.

SHC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I'm with you Studebaker Hawk, it seems the Honda is the way to go. I'm getting a new Webasto installed in a few weeks (my old one died out on me 2007 model).

I still haven't decided on a cooling system yet, and might not. I am having a fantastic fan installed and I have my other in-cab fan I use. I only had to idle on the REALLY hot days, and most of them I just drove till later at night. In the winter, anytime it's below 35* I just idle the truck anyways. I don't have a block heater and I prefer to make sure it starts

4. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    35!!!!! Geez, that's one sick pussycat. Even without a block heater, my older than you, Cummins will crank in the low 20s. Everybody wants to call every fire truck, in the county, when I do that, though. Cough, cough, gag, gag.

SHC Thanks this.
  5. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I idle it cuz I don't like being cold. It will start at -20*, just takes some coaxing. Now that I put new batteries in it, I haven't had a problem. Once I get the Webasto installed, I'm sure I won't idle until around 20* and that's if I ever go north lol

6. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    GO NORTH???? Son, you live in Indiana and that ain't betwixt Alabama and Mississippi!!!!

SHC Thanks this.
  7. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    But how often do I run in Indiana?? Plus you know I'm looking to relocate very very soon. LoL

Dvdfrnndz67 Thanks this.
  8. Autocar

Apr 28, 2012
    Dam Yankee. Welcome to the South. NOW GO HOME!!!!!! :biggrin_25522:

jardel and SHC Thank this.
  9. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I ran the EU3000 last night, got down to 16 IIRC.
    Plugged the block heater in after a little idling, and ran the heater and battery charger. Kept the cab in the low 60's I think (never looked) and the truck fired up immediately with a nice warm block and fully charged batteries.:biggrin_2559:
    Be the same here tonight I think, in Sioux Falls, so will repeat the operation again. I may wire in the block heater and put it on a breaker so I can disconnect it from inside when not needed if this carries on. Running a lead from the generator to the block heater plug is such a hardship, even though I moved the block heater plug to the passenger side, which is where the generator is.
    Total cost in gas was just under 3 gallons, for @9hrs of heat etc. Not too shabby IMHO.
    I looked into the Webasto heaters, but seemed like a lot of coin for just a bunk heater to me. More so with already having the EU3000 mounted etc
    Now if the darn portable heater wouldn't set the fire/cabon monoxide alarm off when it first fires up, I'd be a happy camper!
    On a separate note, I added a new headache rack and step box when blades finished, now just need to give the old gal a paint job to make her look all purdy again!
    headache rack.jpg
    Martin

SHC Thanks this.
  10. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    That's the exact same rack I got but I bought the smooth version. I love it.

As for the genset, I really liked the way you had yours setup.

11. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Well, I got to see a Honda 3000 in action last weekend, and frankly with my truck running and standing next to it on the truck parked next to me I couldn't even hear it. Problem I got is I got a 3000 watt Onan off Ebay for $100. So that's what will be on my truck soon ! Hey, if it's too loud I'll mount it under the back of my trailer and run a cord !!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.