Rooftop AC

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SHC, Mar 29, 2012.

1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Gears Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I must be having a computer illiterate night tonight, and can't find the cost of the unit or power requirements on the site. Anyone have that info?
    at 9200 BTU's though, I don't know about Az in the middle of summer. My mind was set on a fully functional backup unit in case the trucks a/c goes out, and if that is in the sleeper, will it be able to get the front cold enough to do that?

Martin

4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    the roughneck can be mounted on the back of the sleeper, that was posted in a pic by shc i think. they dont have to be mounted flat on top.

they also can be mounted behind the top fairing.

with the shape of the rooftop .5 mpg loss is really surprising.

5. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    leftlane. a fuel pump can be installed by putting a hose barb fitting on the engine at one of the oil ports on the side of engine, the pump costs about 10 to 15 bucks hook the outlet to carb, the inlet from fuel tank, and the pulse outlet to the hose barb , or you can simply drill your existing valve cover yourself.

any race kart shop could fix you right up.

6. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I would agree. That seems like quite a bit. Side stacks and a hood bug deflector might reduce mpg that much but that AC unit? Which do you think would affect aerodynamics more?

7. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Many thanks!
    I will keep that in mind if I decide to go that route mate.
    I had it on last night for heat, used @1gallon all night with the heater on:biggrin_25525:
    Looks liek I will be going back on blades at the end of the month, so a rooftop ac unit is in my near future! Haven't done them for @2yrs, as the rates went to crap, but looks like the pay is back up, so off I go to sit in a corn field for a day or so....:biggrin_255:
    Martin

8. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    OK, last weekend someone posted the name and phone # of a tour bus mafg in Nashville as a option. The post has since disappeared, but not before I had a chance to call and talk to these folks and learn that there is another rooftop option to the Roughneck...

Thank you for the post who ever you are.:biggrin_25514:

After extensively researching availability, price, warranty and over all quality...

This week I discovered that Dometic also offers a commercial grade roof top... who knew ? I thought there had to be another alternative to the Coleman Roughneck and discovered this after calling a tour bus mfg here in Nashville. In fact they told me that this is all they use on their buses and it carries a 2 yr warranty for commercial use as well.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/climate/ac-display-page/?productdataid=93722

The following is the differences I found between the Dometic & Coleman Roughneck.
    Cooling ability
    ------------------
    C/R 13,500 BTU
    Doms, 13,500/15,000

Over all Size
    ---------------
    C/R 29" w x 43" L x 13.5" H
    Doms 30" w x 34" L x 13" H

Cover
    --------
    C/R cover is not as durable and tends to crack
    Doms cover is stronger and more durable

Heat strip option
    ---------------------
    C/R can buy heat strip, but you have to have a different lower unit that can control the heat
    Doms Already heat strip ready without having to buy a different controller

Cost
    ------

C/R Upper unit $1000 + lower control $77 w/ shipping /tax $1200 to $1300
    Doms Upper unit $ 760 + lower control $ 98 w/ shipping / tax $ 937 (at local camper shop)

Dometic manufactures have numerous truck/RV products and most all your tour buses use them and the majority of motor coaches also use them.

Last but not least, Dometic commercial series are built as ordered and come out of Chattanooga Tn

I went and paid for the Dometic unit today and should get it delivered next week

You can thank me later.... :biggrin_25522:

Now watch the weather cool down to the point I need to get a heater :biggrin_25523:

9. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA

That was me and You're Welcome, Pat at Nashville Coach can also help with gen sets, there are tricks you can do to quiet these down. The last bus I was one that we had custom built had air inlets under the bus to keep the sound down, plus we added another thermostat fan inside that if the air temp inside the generator area got too high, it would help pull extra air through and keep it cool. There is also acoustic material available to help deaden the sound.

10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Nice info here. Thanks guys

11. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    @ SHO-TYME, Thanks again... I don't know who you are, but if we ever hook up, coffee is on me.

Pat was not in, but I talked to another guy that seemed very informative. Once he told me what they used or that Dometic made a commercial unit, it wasn't hard researching it on the net and talking to other camper dealers for their opinion on Dometic products.

As far as Gens, all I have is a 2 cyl Kabota (proheat)... they are naturally noisy to a degree. It has served me well for over 10,000 and 7.5 yrs and expect the engine to last another 10,000. The gen head is a different story, but it seems to be doing ok... I don't stress the bearings by tightening the belt too much.

The only thing left after I install the rooftop will be replacing the top and bottom covers... This should prove to be interesting cause Carrier wants $250 for each half (they lost their minds)... So it looks like I'm going to be fabricating and relearning how to braze..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.