Rookie loads and dealing with dispatch

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lonestar87, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Lonestar87

Lonestar87 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2018
    So the last week has been really slow for me. Got a 34 due to being way early for a load, then last load was 3.5 days for 1000 miles. Got there in 2 and had another 34. I told dispatch these slow miles didn’t make it worth being out on the road, that I could make that $ being at home every day, and I needed better or I would have to explore my options. Next load they tried giving me was 3 days for 950 miles. I was livid. Called them up and respectfully told them they needed to do better than that, so they said they’d see what they could do and would get back with me. 20 minutes later get a call. Got a 2 day 840 mile load with 2 stops for you. That’s more like it. First stop is 24 hours after pickup and 750 miles away. Oof gonna be tight but should be possible. Fueled up everything just before hitting receiver last night to get that extra little bit of wiggle room. Dispatch says go ahead and pick it up when you get unloaded since it’s ready to go. Called shipper last night after unloading but no answer. Wasn’t going to leave a parking spot at 9pm in Ft Worth without knowing if they were open and it was ready, so I called it a night. Called this morning to find our trailer isn’t ready yet but “will be by appointment time.” Ugh ok. So I’m 30 miles from shipper, haven’t started my clock for the day, and have to get there, drop n hook, possibly scale depending on manifest weight, and go from south side of Ft Worth to Denver in 24 hours, on elogs, in a truck governed at 68mph.

I’m thinking if I don’t stop for anything besides receiver, scale, and required 30, I can get down there and at least 620 miles towards Denver, take my 10, and hopefully have enough time tomorrow to get the last 100 miles in by appointment time?

I’m also thinking maybe show up at shipper an hour early just in case it’s ready, but don’t want to show up too early and burn more clock than I have to in case it isn’t.

I don’t want to ask dispatch to change appointment time bc it should be possible if circumstances work out, and I was the one who asked for a better mileage load. Maybe this is them getting their kicks in trying to put a new driver in their place? I understand I’m a new driver, and still very much learning the industry and my craft, but that doesn’t mean I’m a lazy driver. Best day so far was 685 miles and best week was 3350 but the miles have gone way down since then. I’m not out here to screw around. I’m here to make $. As a rookie, how do I get that through to dispatch without calling them on every load?

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Suck it up butter cup.

It's pretty much the same BS at every starter company. Dig in, get you're year in, then life is good.

Don't jump around to different companies, it will only hurt you.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah, like Dave said the first year is pretty much going to be slow. They'll throw every crappy job they can at you and you can either take it or get pissed off and quit. I left my first company after 6 months when my weekly paychecks were averaging around $500. My second job paid a little better but ran me into the ground, and my third job was great. There is definitely an adjustment period in this business before you find a good fit. You'll find a lot of people here who don't think you should move around a lot, but from what I've seen, some companies treat drivers so bad and pay them so little, you'd be nuts to stay. Changing jobs in the first year didn't hurt me a bit.

5. Lonestar87

Aug 12, 2018
    I don’t want to jump around, and I get that there’s bs everywhere, but my last 3 checks have been for 1500-1800 miles for an entire week. That can’t be normal? I feel it’s a good company overall and they’ve treated me well up until this, but if this keeps up I’ll have to find something else just to keep the bills paid.

6. Lonestar87

Aug 12, 2018
    Yeah I’m definitely biting my tongue and sucking it up, and going to try to get a year in with them if I can, but I have a minimum required income at the same time. They have an “open door policy” that goes all the way up to the owner of the company, so if it doesn’t change I think I’m just going to ask them to route me back to the yard and have a sit down chat. 5 years ago I would have quit already, but I’ve grown a bit since then and I think the company has potential, it’s just an issue with this dispatcher.

7. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    You've had sound advice here, bite your tongue a bit, you really dont want the reputation of a moaner.
    You will be able to teach your dispatcher how to run you but it will take time to do that and maybe they just dont have exactly what you want available right now, possibly they just dont book the sort of loads and timings like you want.
    You do show an unusually well developed grasp of trip planning for a new driver and I'm quite certain they wont be expecting that, most first years really dont grasp that and have to be helped a lot more than you obviously do, and you're not going to be able to reinvent the wheel here.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your company has likely been giving those tight loads to their proven drivers. Give the rookies the ones with extra time. This is a good chance for you to step up and show them that you are up to it. Succeed here and things may open up for you. And Denver is on mountain time so you will gain one hour there.
    And the 24hr from Ft Worth to Denver is very doable. I used to run from Garland,Tx to Denver regularly in 24 hrs in a 65mph truck.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Dont overthink it. Mega companies have 5 billion drivers to look after im sure ur request fell on deaf ears. Yes i know u want miles but u have to understand sometimes freight just isnt there especially if u were in a bad area in terms of freight. Being new u have no leverage in terms of negotiating better runs until u got some grease under ur finger nails. Whether u make the run in time or not it doesnt matter . dont kill urself just to get it there on time. If its gonna be late just communicate with ur company its very simple. But i would recommomend not barking orders at dispatch until u have proved urself or u will find urself without a job

Lonestar87, FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well harsh reality ... you need to stop thinking it is all about miles, the company doesn't care as long as you are not late or piss off a customer. Most likely you will be flagged as a complainer so learn how to manage your time, learn how to route properly and don't make waves, you are just a driver.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can live on 500 miles a week if you knew what your net was and how to eat and drink a minimum cost for 7 days. And set the rest aside as savings.

Don't be making that kind of noise to dispatch, they will just lay a rope out on a mission impossible that you cannot do and fire you for cause just to eliminate the noise. They don't wanna hear it.

I hate to be blunt but that's trucking. Get what you get and be happy. Someday for you you will find something fulfilling and maybe profitable. But you have to take the bad with the good.

Ive had loads with the spouse as a team between Avenel NJ to Los Angeles inside of two complete days with about 10 minutes time on dispatch concern if it will be on time. We were there with 4 minutes to spare. And that was in a 63 mph truck skipping a fuel stop. No problem. Next load please.

Trust me, we have had loads that I could just basically burn the truck and trailer an stomp off in disgust at the shipper. But no we are past that.

Lonestar87 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.