Rotator Cuff Repair

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Big_B, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Big_B

Big_B Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Northeast, WI
    I've seen some mentioning of this, do no real details. I know every case is different. I'm just curious from anyone who has had this repaired, how long before your doctor ok'd you to your duties driving truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Google natural remedies. I take natural supplements but the one that works the best(for me) "apple cider vinegar", must be organic. It doesn't work over night, takes a couple of months or so. And lay off any/all carbonated drinks.

Big_B and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Spouse tore her cuff in the Marines, basically destroy it. Surgery put her together again enough to continue active duty. It was good enough to do some trucking late in life. But enough was enough. If something happens and she tears it again that would be that.

Big_B, buddyd157 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. Klleetrucking

Klleetrucking Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S.C.
    FWIW, Last Feb. I went in for what I thought was a torn cuff turned out to be "only" a bone spur once they went in arthroscopically. I was 64 at the time, about 6 weeks start to finish I'd guess a younger person would recover quicker.
    Whatever surgery transpires do the PT religiously.BOL

x1Heavy, Big_B and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    every person and every operation is different. years ago, i had a dual hernia operation. one side healed faster then the other.

i was able to go back to work about 6 months later. this was in the days that you got sewn up inside. today, a screen is used to heal you up faster.

i simply DO NOT believe in this herbal medicine crap about fixing things. you cannot fix torn ligaments with vitamins. only sutures to reattach can do this.

stay away from herbal crap, this will only make matters worse, as scar tissue can and will form over the area.

best to seek your primary care provider, and let him/her recommend a very good orthopedic surgeon. x-rays and either an MRI or CT scan will help him/her make the best decision for YOU.

then as mentioned, do the complete physical therapy.

you will need to take a medical leave of absence, and do not be surprised that with even the doctors "OK for you to return to work, that your employer ask or DEMAND a new DOT physical.

ask the surgeon (when the time comes for a pre-op exam), what is the "usual recovery time" and any weight restrictions.

but DO NOT push yourself to get back to work ASAP.

take the time needed for a full recovery.

make sure too that you re-adjust your work habits, like using the 3 point entry/exit. make sure you use a 5th wheel pin puller, and use BOTH hands on that, to lessen the strain on one hand/arm/shoulder from bearing the brunt of all the physical strength it takes.

to only name at least 2 areas where we are prone to receive injuries from.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    x1Heavy and Big_B Thank this.
  7. audeygdad

audeygdad Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    Hampton roads,Va.
    I'm out right now due to rotator repair and it's been a month and I'm due to go back to work in bout 3 more weeks and I have to get a new med card also only because it's out of date so,this procedure wasn't as bad as my other rotator/bicep muscle repair I had in 2012 I was out of work for 22 months and had to get ss disability which I got after 5 months I didn't have long term disability then, everything depends also on how old you are of course and they say this is one of the most painful ops you can have but I didn't go thru to much pain it's the weakness that aggravates me.Good luck.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a hernia at one.

21 years later I had a surgery for appendix removal. I was told they required 4 hours to punch through scar tissue to find it.

Now tell me this, if the scar tissue was so massive in amount and volume tha tthey needed 4 freaking hours to find what they needed to find, I think there will be no more hernias again. Even if I got one I would prefer them to sew it up the old way, no meshes or screens for me. And I probably do because I spent quite a few years throwing reefer loads of food and drinks onto the dock and sometimes on to the trailer. It got to where I could not look at a reefer without preparing myself mentally and physically for that 6 hour work tossing 48,000 pounds.

9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the scar tissue only covers the area. there can still be a weakness in the abdominal wall. the only thing the scar tissue can (or might do), is hold it back a bit. so when you go for the "cough test", that hernia may still be felt by the doctor.

the hernia can protrude in another direction, maybe splitting the entire area, and popping out further down the line. i cannot say for sure, if this can also be known as a strangulated hernia, one is which can be deadly.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll have the doc check it next week when I go see him then. If anyone is going to be strangling anything It will be me. lol. //snarky attitude.

I don't like the sound of your post in so far as the possibilities of a hernia. It ranks right up there with my world famous hemorrhoids post of all things ... haw.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  11. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, after my double, and one side not healing at the same time as the other, every time i pick up something, even being careful about the weights, and lifting at the knees, i swear i still hurt myself.

most times i think it's that i am just out of shape. even though i walk a lot, and watch my personal weight, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.