routing new external speaker cable.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Agtrucker, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Dealing with '14 388 daycab and new cobra 29. the plug for the external speaker(the stock one mounted just above the door) no longer makes a good connection in the back of the radio. My thought was I could pull the screws out that hold the external speaker in then tie the new cable to the old one and pull it through without having to pull out the headliner. Is this at all possible or is everything so tight up there that I'll just have to drop it anyways?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Buy your own speaker and mount where ever you like..

4. Dirtymartini15x

Dirtymartini15x Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    If the speaker still works just buy a new plug and put it on the old wires.

5. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    the speaker works fine, but the end plugging into the back the cb is loose and only works if I hold it just right. It's not the radio itself as thats new... Ive never solder before so dont know how putting a new plug end would go... Just thought of it now, that I guess I could just buy new cable cut off the excess wire and then just butt connect the new plug in that way...

6. Dirtymartini15x

Dirtymartini15x Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    You could do that, but a soldered connection would be preferable. But there's not much sense in routing a whole new wire. I'm sure a CB shop could have you fixed up in no time.

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If the plug is good...Just cut the wire and add some more speaker wire till it's long enough to get to where you need...twist the wires together and use some electrical tape to hold them together...soldering would be best, but as long as the wires are twisted together and taped up tight, you should be ok...It's not like your making a electrical connection to run power through.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.