Rpm surge while driving, sensor related?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by ashtre, Oct 9, 2019.

1. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    Happened a couple times when i first bought truck two years ago, dealer couldnt find anything, no cel or codes. Then it stopped for a long period. Now recently, the past two days it's done it twice while i was deadheading, both times on a slight downgrade. On interstate doing 65-70, suddenly truck and trailer abs lights pop up on dash as well as traction control light, then rpms surge to redline. If i release accelerator then tap it a couple times seems to stop it but what the h. I called volvo helpline guy said could be my turbo boost sensor acting up wanted to know the codes but my cel never comes on during the surge. Anyone ever experience this? Gotta 2015 d13 i shift. My relays in dash click like crazy right before it happens. I always suspected it was my rand eld that my outfit uses that messes with my truck, i went thru 3 before i finally got one that worked right, but i dont freakin know. Just know im tired of seein my truck redline. And sometimes when i first start truck those relay clicks go crazy and my airbag icon pops up on dash, couple times said check tire pressure monitoring system which i didnt know i had, and last week message came on saying check ignition fuse. After a few moments though messages will just vanish and truck runs normal. I was recently at a shop getting crankcase filter changed and owner said probably a ground issue somewhere, but he was way too busy on a friday to have someone digging for electrical gremlins. I dunno, if anyone has experienced somethin like this please lemme know, thnx in advance.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Could be the eco roll feature malfunction (if you have it?) if it's acting downhill as you described . I remember reading here that you can turn it off from vehicle settings, see what's going on.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like that idea. As much as I dislike the idea that the truck will redline on it's own.

If you have a binary chip under your fuel pedal that sends a count to the engine's brain and there it is decided how much or how little fuel to send to the engine. If that chip is bad or the harness related to it is shorted in some way you might have problems.

One time fairly recently our throttle body which is a fancy term of engine air intake driven by electronics based on how much or how little you press the gas pedal... failed. The engine computer actually derated our car by 30% until you got it to the shop to replace same for a thousand dollars.

Unfortunately that is only one of three possible total fixes in our particular car. A thousand here, a thousand there and a thousand over here and pretty soon you have money to replace that pile of junk filled with gremlins.

BTW, we watched the original on our new VCR player just purchased that month, a premium 4 head etc.

The movie killed the VCR then. We have a standing rule to this day, no more of those kinds of movies.

5. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    Thanks for input, no eco roll on this thing it's an old Jordan truck pretty basic, except that it redlines on it's own every now and again and my butt puckers up cuz im scared my engine gonna blow up

6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Sounds like a harness short.
    Intermittent.

7. ashtre

ashtre Light Load Member

May 9, 2016
    The lights all came on when i accidentally brushed my knee against my key while it was in ignition other night, so i changed to my other key and hasnt really done it since, wondering if it is just an old bendy key or a loose ignition switch, but since changing keys rpms havent revved up, lights did come on once today while driving but shut off right away of course before i could stop and try to read any codes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.