Run with overweight load???

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by IROCUBabe, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Many states will check you at the P.O.E., especially if you're a new carrier or never have been through the state before. It's just a formality, no big deal.
    Most of the DOT I encounter are professional and if you bring in your carrier binder and both you and it are clean and presentable, no problems.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not necessarily. I forget what the exact numbers are, but if you only over by 1 or 2 thousand the cops have the discretion to let you leave with it if they feel so inclined. Too much more than that and they legally lose that discretion.

That depends on to whom the ticket is issued. Every state is different here. Some cops write them out to the driver. Others, like in PA, write them out to the company.

True, any accidents while overweight WILL become your fault.

Wrong. Overweight tickets DO NOT go on your record. I've gotten several BIG ones, and they never appeared on mine.

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  4. firstgear

firstgear Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I-20 west bound scale in alabama at the ga/al line stopped me 780lbs over on drives, could not shift weight "bulk tanker" the scale guys were nice as they could be, he said it doesnt matter if i was 1 pound or 2499 pounds I was getting a ticket and it was the same charge seeing as thats how the fines are based, I think it was like 259.00.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.