Running for FedEx Expedite

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by JimF, Feb 15, 2010.

1. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Well, barring not being qualified by FedEx, which I don't expect to happen, I should be driving team for a small fleet owner contracted on with FedEx. If all goes well, I should be on the road Thurs., the 18th.

The fleet owner actually has his trucks managed by a fleet management business, so after spending a bit of time on the phone with the owner, I talked quite a bit with the manager. They both were pretty straight up, especially the manager, painting both the good and bad. No rosy BS about pay, home time, etc..., because as the manager put it, it can be difficult to find a good team driver, and if one comes in with false expectations, they won't stay very long. Then, the truck runs solo again and the driver, the manager and the owner aren't making much in revenue. He said it's worth taking the time to cover as much as possible and be as honest as possible about the job, as there aren't huge applicants to choose from, like the large OTR companies. The manager stated that his goal is have the only unknown be whether to 2 people can get along as a team. That's something he can't control.

After he was satisfied with our conversation, he arranged for my future co-driver to call me. He called yesterday, and we spent about a hour on the phone. At the end, we were both satisfied that we had a really good shot at making it work, so, now just waiting on FedEx.

The deal is 10% of the gross goes to the owner and manager. The drivers each get 20% or the remaining 90%, so basicaly we each get 18% of the gross. All truck/load expenses are paid by the mgmt. company, so drivers only need cover their own living expenses. Average gross weekly driver pay ffrom last mid-Sept. till end of Jan. '10 (19 weeks) was $685. Could have been higher but truck was run solo for a total of 6 of those weeks. Stay out a min. of 3 weeks, then a whole week off.

Next to flatbedding, expediting was the driving I enjoyed best, when I did it. And it will be easier on this tired, old body.:yes2557:

JustSonny Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Best of Luck !!!!

Fleet Management Business ?

4. JimF

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Yes. He told me he started out driving for someone else, then bought a truck, then a few more. Got to the point he couldn't manage his trucks from on the road, so started working from home. Then he took on a sew other small fleet owners. I don't think he has any trucks of his own, any longer, by the way he talked.

jtrnr1951 Thanks this.
  5. JimF

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    I'll post about this, when I can. I don't have a air card for my laptop, so it will only be when I can find wifi access.

Also, I'm not sure if this is their Custom Critucal or not, forgot to ask.

jtrnr1951 Thanks this.
  6. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
  7. teddy_bear6506

teddy_bear6506 I'm Vintage

May 23, 2009
    Between Valhalla and Hades
    Congrats, Jim. Keep us updated when you can. It sounds like a good deal.

I'm in the same spot you are, waiting for qualification from Fed Ex. If that goes well, I'll be starting with a fleet owner in a cargo van. I'm hoping to be there by the end of this week, but not sure yet if that will happen. I've talked quite a bit to the fleet owner, and he's quite up front about the good and bad involved. He's been quite helpful in getting me all the information needed and what steps I need to take to get there. I began talking with him the first of December, and really didn't know if I should believe him or not about finding a place for me as soon as I had everything I needed.

When I called him back the end of last month, he remembered all of our conversations, and told me he had a van waiting for me.

I wish you all the luck with your co-driver and your new job. I'll be anxious to hear how it's going. I'll do my best to keep y'all updated on my adventures, also. I don't have an air card, either. I'll check into it once I have some income and see how things go.

RickG Thanks this.
  8. JimF

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Update, small set back. The Thursday thing was how the other driver understood it, but it's actually a week from Thursday. FedEx has run my MVR, and I think my DAC, and today I got a driver package that they overnighted to me. Have to get a DOT physical, drug test, fill out a bunch of paperwork, copy documents, then send it to the fleet manager, who has to fill out and sign some docs, then he sends it on to FedEx.

teddy_bear6506 Thanks this.
  9. Carolina Thunder

Carolina Thunder Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Coeburn V.A.
    Take as many things with as you can like books and a computer so that your not just sitting there staring out the windows because if it's anything like FedX CC your going to be sitting more than you will be running!

I have been with FedX CC since Nov and hate it more than any job i have EVER had.......and i have had some really BS jobs in the last 15 years or so!

I wish you luck.

10. JimF

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Yeah, CT, know about the down time. I did expediting back in '97, had my own truck. The waiting was the hardest part to get used to, after driving OTR.

Got my books, my computer, will get a air card for it in the near future, then can watch movies via Netflix. Team mate also said he'd like to learn how to play Cribbage.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    NetFlix will really eat up your aircard time .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.