Running w/ my ELD Update

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Hey Y'all haven't posted on here for a while and I figured since this new mandate came into affect on Monday I would tell y'all how it's been working for me so far.
    Originally I was going with JJ Keller but because of their up-front cost for their tablet (i'm not handing over my phone or personal tablet to a cop ) and the rude sales rep I cancelled. My next option was Rand Mcnally since I already have the Overdryve 7 Pro why not just get the ELD, well after speaking with the tech guy it seems their OBD II adapter isn't working for LD Trucks the F Series and Rams it's had issues with reliability and not reading correctly. So I ended up going with Omnitronics and their XRS ELD. Only downside with them is they do not have a system that runs on IOS platform so it's either Windows or Android. They offer several tablets and options. The IVG is way to expensive so I ended up just getting another tablet from Verizon on my account. They recommend a middle shelf tablet with enough RAM and power to run the ELD accurately. It also has to be celluar it's not a good idea to run on WiFi even if you have an air card jet pack like I do because WiFi isn't secure enough.
    So anyway it was easy to install and they supply the ELD free of charge you only pay for the OBD II adapter which ran me about $80 and with shipping and first month service it was about $140 and tax. They have other plans to chose as well.
    So anyway since I have been using the ELD I have seen no change in how my day goes, I haven't had any issues with the ELD failing (knock on wood) and it's pretty simple to use. As for my trips, they haven't changed significantly at all, I still run the same lanes as before and TBH I don't feel the anxiety or stress I have heard others are saying. Keep in mind though I run cars not freight so there are significant differences with shippers and receivers mainly the amount of wait time.
    Once I started running ELD I made my direct customers aware of how I plan to operate and explained to them the whole idea behind this mandate. I actually went to several of them sat down face to face and explained exactly how this new system works, they had little to no idea the magnitude of this mandate other then hearing bits and pieces on the web and other people talking. Their first question was how will this affect our contract with them as per our rate agreements, I said for right now we will keep it as is but if there becomes an issue further down the road we can come back and discuss it. Several of them said they would be willing to renegotiate my contract rate that day and increase certain rates that will have me going out of state and overnight trips. I wont go into my rates with y'all mainly because of privacy issues with my customers and secondly it's not really something I feel I need to share.
    I will say I am pleased with my customers and feel better knowing they understand the situation myself and all the other drivers out here are facing now. So my point here is I have been running the ELD for close to 1 1/2 months going on 2 and have not seen a penny drop in my revenue, I haven't found myself running into any HOS violations or running out of time far away from home.
    I know there are a lot of drivers that hate this ELD for various reasons and I don't think any of you are wrong in your opinion of them. I'm not for or against the mandate, It's here and is what it is, I chose to comply with it, as I have said before I have a lot of money invested in my business over the past 2 years and have built an established customer base that are willing to work with me every step of the way. Other than the day of the mandate I haven't been stopped or questioned about the ELD and have seen no issues with DOT since.
    I hope there are other drivers out here that are having the same experience I am with their company's and I wish all of you the best for 2018. I would only ask that the comments left on this post remain civil and please refrain from saying I am a sheep or I bowed down to the government. I am not calling out any of the guys who run the way they do and how they operate their business so I would appreciate if I could receive the same courtesy.
    Thanks Guys I hope by sharing this post some can see a little positive side to such a negative situation. Please stay safe out there, I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous and Healthy New Year

God Bless
    Ryan

tc3500, chimbotano, TN_Chief and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
  4. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Maybe they've been underpaying you all along....

stwik, Tb0n3 and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  5. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Actually I have done pretty well with my direct customers, Honestly if I only had load boards to run there would be very little chance I could make it. Especially now that CD went up another $11 a month and rates for cars at very low low prices.

6. TN_Chief

TN_Chief Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2015
    NC
    Ryan, thanks for the update on how this mandate has been working out for you. After a 20 year career in the military I have found that the people who accept change are usually the most successful. They tend to figure out how to make their work worthwhile despite change that they may or may not agree with. Could you have opted to get your own tablet with JJK also?

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  7. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I was considering it Pete but ya know for me customer service is everything especially in our industry. I take a lot of pride in giving my customers and brokers the best and most reliable customer service I can. So when I am approached by a sales man who feels it is ok to say I am playing games and jerking him around with buying the product and then saying well your taking food out of my kids mouths by delaying your agreement I am completely disgusted with that and will not get my business. I had an account with them ordered all my forms and other stuff from them for quite a while, now I have closed all communication with them and found a great vendor who works with all my needs and treats me and my company with the same respect I give them.

TN_Chief Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.