Rusty chains and binders

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Tmichael2332, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Tmichael2332

Tmichael2332 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi
    So I got some chains and binders off a buddy of mine for too good of a price to turn down. Only issue I have with them is the chains are pretty rusty and the binders definitely look well used. I’m far from a perfectionist but I do like to keep my equipment fairly clean and in working order.

I’m looking for an easier way to get the rust off the chains besides scrubbing 400ft with a wire brush. I don’t want to soak them in acid or anything like that in fear of weakening the chain (Maybe I’m just paranoid). I’m guessing strip, prime, paint etc with the binders.

Any tips, suggestions, advice? Anybody done this before? Maybe I’ve got too much time on my hands lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Consider it a nutritional supplement. Boost your iron content quickly. Just shake it over your meal plate now and then.

HE HE HE.. //teasing...

Seriously stop trying to be cheap. Spend a dollar to get nice quality chains.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Spray them with penetrating oil and then pressure wash the rust away and recoat.

henboy1, Lepton1, Grubby and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    If you live in the country and the roads aren't snow covered drag them down a gravel road. As long as the g7 rating is still visible I'd use them as is. If you're not using them all time it'll be hard to keep them from rusting.

Lepton1, Grubby, jamespmack and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    So paint them nice bright red, or neon green?:evil4:

Lepton1 and rolls canardly Thank this.
  7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    One gallon of white vinegar mixed with one cup of salt. Put the chains in a PLACTIC bucket and fill to cover the chains.Check every 12 hours to see if they are clean or need more time. After they get to where you want them, rinse with a pressure washer. Mix one cup of baking soda with one gallon of water. Soak the chains in the solution for 15 minutes. The vinegar removes the rust and the baking soda neutralizes the vinegar. This is what we use to clean very rusty traps. There is also a product that the chains can be dipped in to keep them from rusting, if anyone is interested.

SAR, randomname, JonJon78 and 11 others Thank this.
  8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Drag them on a gravel road behind a pick up.

Grubby, OLDSKOOLERnWV, baha and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Seems silly but I will probably just hook up my local scrap guy when with mine.....when I replace them. But we are only talking 4 sets here so it makes sen$e for me.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Drag the chains around in the dirt. Down a dirt road in you personal vehicle or any site you pickup at, just start dragging them in the dirt.

Once you start using them frequently they will stay cleaner.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  11. Tmichael2332

Tmichael2332 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Mississippi

Wait so you’re telling me the chain I bought off eBay from a 1700s shipwreck won’t hold down a 48k coil?
    But it held the ship at the bottom of the ocean for 100s of years.

Jokes aside they’re only 2 years old just rusty from not being used and how he stored them. He’s done flatbedding so I basically paid him to help him clean out his truck. Never hurts to have a chain or 20 laying around the house.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.