[ S O L V E D ]Compact radios

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mine23, Sep 20, 2017.

1. mine23

mine23 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Hey folks . - thank you in advance -
    I am looking for some direction / advice for compact 40 channel CB for vehicle - limited mounting space and I see the Cobras, uniden, midland - wondering about value and dependability - price is issue...
    thank you again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mine23

mine23 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2017
    I aam not advertising but i found this on the A store - and i like both price and size?
    Cobra 19DXIV 40 Channel Mobile Compact CB Radio
    Decision made wth handheld all-in -1 type -

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I personally don’t recommend the cobra 19DXIV radio. It has pretty nice sounding transmit audio, but the receive is really crappy and noisy. At least the one I own isn’t very good.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    I forgot to mention that I’ve heard that the uniden 510 or 520 radios are good. I don’t have any experience with those radios though.

6. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Uniden 680 in my Tacoma...
    [​IMG]

Uniden 520xl in my Suburban...
    [​IMG]
    Both are good radios (for what they are) IMO the 520 has a better receive to it, but both make nice in-dash installs since they have small cabinets...And if you run a Amp behind them no one is going to know on the receiving-end you have a "ettie-bittie-radio!" :D

...and I agree, the Cobra DXIV is a "POS"...

John A., Crude Truckin', Jazz1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Wow, that’s probably the nicest cb installs I’ve seen in awhile. That 680 looks like it was factory designed for your Tacoma, very nice looking.

8. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina

I recently had a Smart CB installed in the 09 Sonata I inherited from my stepfather. Running it into a Browning 27 MHz NMO mount on rear fender and it is performing well. Downside is this radio needs some de-soldering of SMT circuit board components to operate on USA CB frequencies. Another downside, is that bank has the 40 USA channels plus another 40 of I-don't-know-what, above them, which can be problematic when scanning. Otherwise, seems like a good radio for just under $60 on Amazon.

rabbiporkchop and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  9. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina

Jessejamesdallas, that is a good looking install you have there! Point of curiosity, what year is your Tacoma? I know each year, the manufacturers (all of them) find new ways to engineer out any conceivable space where one might wish to put a CB, ham, GMRS, or like radio. Even Jeeps and F-150's have fallen victim to this nonsense. You did good in getting around it!

Slowmover1 and jessejamesdallas Thank this.
  10. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    It's a 2001 Tacoma pre-runner. Another thing about that install, is I painted the face of the radio so it would match the interior color on the dash. (trim-black, which is sort of a eggshell black...not glossy and not flat either) The 680 measures 6x6x2", so it fit perfect where the little plastic tray was...I did have to use a elbow coax adapter on the back of the radio so I could connect the coax because there's a AC duct thing running behind the radio which also limits how long the radio can be to get it to fit...The external speaker fit perfect also where the ashtray was at...Just took out the ashtray, and the speakers bracket fit perfect in the space without having to do any cutting...so if I decide to get rid of the truck, I can put the ashtray back, and the plastic glove box thing and no one will be able to tell a radio was ever installed.
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looks like at night.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  11. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Anytone1.jpg Anytone2.jpg

I have the same truck (actually a 2004 4X4 model) and I had the same issue. Anytone Smart is what I use. Originally had it mounted where the ashtray was, now I have it in the cubby pocket.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.