S&S Transport

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by LDYTRUCKER, Sep 5, 2018.

1. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LDYTRUCKER

LDYTRUCKER Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Anniston, AL
    Yeah, I still have it. I gave up the other truck to a driver that needed it. I'm ok with it, I've sat for repairs so much on this truck that I have no issues with it anymore, and really have got to know it inside and out.

Haha yeah, me and my road cat had a few pics taken.

4. LDYTRUCKER

Sep 4, 2018
    Anniston, AL
    Let's not bash all student drivers. I only had two months verifiable experience when they hired me. I really treat the equipment like it's my own. Without it, I dont make money, and I take pride in keeping my equipment clean and in great working order. I even vacuum my darn truck every night since I have a pet lol.

I'd really hate to see people like myself have even more limited options to drive for a good company because of people that just dont care. I referred another new CDL holder, and he is doing a great job right now. It really comes down to listening to your trainers and other experienced drivers before sticking a student behind the wheel solo. And yeah, I bent my ferring a bit because of a stupid misjudgment, but I took full responsibility immediately and offered to pay for my mistake.

We are bound to mess up at one point or another, but theres some common sense that needs to happen too. Like, dont drive into gas stations meant for cars and if the GPS tells you to turn right off a bridge, dont.

5. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I wasn t intending to bash anyone. I made a few mistakes 18 years ago myself. I try to give my best advice to student drivers, and those with less experience. I also trained drivers as well.

When I pulled up to get loaded Tuesday, I seen the trailer damage. I asked him what happened, he told me. I had a 5 minute talk with him, telling him he cannot rely constantly on that GPS in the truck. You also got to learn to read a map sometimes, and I told him if he ever gets in a bad situation, STOP and assess the situation before it gets worse. He listened then he proceeded to blame S&S and the GPS for the accident.

I told him, S&S is not going to buy that. They re going to tell you the same thing I m going to tell you, "You cannot always rely on GPS". Then he had to nerve to ask me how was the accident his fault? I repeated my response and let him be

Vic Firth, Lonesome, 88 Alpha and 2 others Thank this.
  6. LDYTRUCKER

Sep 4, 2018
    Anniston, AL
    And its drivers like that, that really tick me off. Just man up, admit you were an idiot, take responsibility, and learn from your mistake.

I think, when I try my hand at training in the future, I'm going to make them use an atlas and maps. No GPS allowed until I know you have a little common sense! If they last, they may be pretty thankful when a situation arises where GPS cant be used. I've had a few of those types of deliveries, but I grew up without cellphones and map quest was a huge deal when it first came out haha.

7. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    @LDYTRUCKER
    I'm not a trainer and never have been, but recently I found myself in a position of trying to help a young man who had just gotten off of his trainer's truck. I asked the members of our forum for advice and they came through in spades.

If you are interested, the link goes to the thread I started. I gave no advice, but I sure listened to all that was said. You may find some good tips in that thread when you become a trainer.

If you are a trainer, I need some advice

8. LDYTRUCKER

Sep 4, 2018
    Anniston, AL
    @88 Alpha

Thank you for that link! I'm going to bookmark it.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  9. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    That driver who hit that gas station awning and said it Was the GPS fault those are the type of drivers that need to be booted out of this industry because if they're not adult enough nor smart enough to look at front of them and think I can't get this truck in there and do it anyway because of a GPS telling them to do it they have no business driving.

10. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Well, S&S finally struck a nerve. After I got told that I had a new truck waiting on me for the last 2 weeks, they decided to give it away, so now I have to wait longer to get into another one. I ve been more than patient waiting on the truck. I was told it would be ready on the 9th, got to Grand Forks, it was nowhere remotely ready. So the shop told me it would be ready when I get back to Grand Forks after I headed back that way. Needless to say, I got the phone call "Oh, we gave your truck away", and I asked them why? "Umm somebody needed it, so we gave it away"

So I ve patiently waited on my new truck for 2 weeks for nothing? And basically whoever got the truck did not have to wait like I did to move in? Me and both Brian s will have a 2 on 1 conversation when I get back to yard.

The point is if I had to wait for a new truck, why couldn t the other person wait for one like I did?

11. Bdkorth

Bdkorth Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Do they run teams?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.