S&S Transport

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by LDYTRUCKER, Sep 5, 2018.

1. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Finished out the week at 3,220 miles. I could have done more, but truck is in shop as of yesterday. I figured since I had a decent week to go ahead and get service done. Why come back 1500 miles later when you re already in town, plus I only had 4 hours on my 70.

Some of you ask what are the pros and cons of S and S

Pros:
    No forced dispatch
    All trucks have APU, refrigerator, DirectTV, XM radio which you pay for subscription
    BestPass
    Everybody is in plain sight including the owners when you walk in the building.
    If you want to run, they have the miles, and give you plenty of time to get it there
    You can run all tolls, no dispatch approval needed
    No cost passenger policy
    They will try to accommodate you on your truck preference: Auto vs 10 speed/ Cascadia vs T680. The trucks are O/O spec'd as well
    They go through the truck with a fine tooth comb when it comes down to servicing their equipment
    Mileage is practical miles with PC Miler

Cons:
    No night or weekend dispatch
    No afterhours shop
    No driver amenities on site, but they are in the works of adding those in the near future.

Any further questions just ask away

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    After a day and a half in shop, I get a restart and got a 1700 mile run to CT for Tuesday morning. I plan on getting to CT in time for another restart.

LDYTRUCKER Thanks this.
  4. LDYTRUCKER

LDYTRUCKER Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Anniston, AL
    Just an update here. Still consistantly getting over 3k miles a week. Last check was for almost 3400 miles. Still have yet to sit any length of time for my next load.

I did find out today that we are on a hiring freeze. The company is waiting for more trucks. There is a driver waiting list now. Their goal is getting their day cabs in for regional drivers that are home every day, and getting their trucks for people waiting on OTR positions. Not sure how long it will take in order to get trucks for those waiting to drive for S&S. All trucks have been filled and no one is leaving, so that says something.

Still very happy here. I almost wish I had a day to sit!

5. LDYTRUCKER

LDYTRUCKER Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Anniston, AL
    To clarify, it is my choice to not sit a day. If I really wanted to, they would have no issues with me taking a day to decompress and be lazy. I run 7 days a week on recap hours cause I like money. And I still have yet to run into issues with home time. I'm home every month as requested.

Bluedew, TB John, Bumper and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Its hard to believe its been a month already at S&S. Other than the first week here, and working out the kinks with the truck I m in now, its been a great experience. My lowest mileage for the week was 2900 and the best week so far was 3220. My average length of haul is between 900-1100 miles.

I like the fact at S&S, most of our loads are light. 80% of them average less than 15,000 lbs. I have had 4-44,000lbs plus loads that averaged about a 1,000 miles each. Usually those heavy loads pick up either in Grand Forks or somewhere in ND.

We are in the process of adding 30 to 50 trucks to the fleet which were supposed to be delivered next month but got pushed back due to the demand from the big boys. That will put us roughly at a 150 truck company

They are a small company that s not afraid to spend money to make money. We re phasing out our older trailers, and will begin phasing out the older T680s and Cascadia's next year. We just bought several brand new trailers

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Lonesome, Bluedew, Vic Firth and 3 others Thank this.
  7. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Beginning of 2nd month has started with 3 different loads within an hr. The first 2 got changed, and ending up with a load and reload in Anniston going to Winnipeg. 1600 miles. But the only bad thing was that Anniston took their precious time loading the reload, and I barely made it back home with 10 mins left on my 14. So 1350 miles and 33 hours later, I m taking my 10 in Fargo so I can make delivery.

Then back to the shop AGAIN for some issues with PeopleNet, Onguard, and a few other things. I hope it will not be an all day affair

Bluedew, dwells40 and Backatit Thank this.
  8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    You should have listed the on guard system as a Con on your list.

Metallica88 and bigkev1115 Thank this.
  9. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I know, right? Especially when you come upon a slow truck 700 feet ahead of you, and it backs you down to their speed, and you hate to jump out in the left lane that far back with a 67-68mph truck to try to pass.

And the slightest thing gets on that radar box, it disables it and you re stuck at 65 on the throttle until you pull over and clean it. Then sometimes the OnGuard won t go back to normal

JForce28 and Metallica88 Thank this.
  10. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    The week of Thanksgiving is off to a good start. It started off with a 1600 mile run to Winnipeg, then back to Grand Forks for some repairs. I deadhead 250 miles to St Cloud to pick up 3 pallets and take them to Anniston, then 17 miles to the house until Monday or Tuesday. I m literally deadheading even though the customer says those 3 pallets weigh 10,000lbs, they re more like about 500 lbs. If they had one box of roman noodles or one box of popcorn, they would still put 10,000lbs on the bills.

Its good to know that this company tries to accommodate drivers for the holidays. I do believe everybody got home for Thanksgiving that wanted it

I will close out the week with 3200 miles

Bluedew, Lonesome, drvrtech77 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Backatit

Backatit Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Arkansas
    bigkev1115 and LDYTRUCKER Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.