S60 DETROIT OVERHEAD

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by MRMTRANS, Mar 29, 2023.

1. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    I forgot to ask how far out of adjustment, but the mechanic said they were out quite a bit. Had done at 78k miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I pulled my top end down at the second oil change @6000 miles to retorque the head. All of my intake valves were between .002 and zero lash.

I had set them at .010 during overhaul

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Did the head retorque make a difference? Any movement on the bolts? I’d like to do mine. Small oil seepage at right rear corner. Did you use the new higher specs?

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Yeah, really surprised me. I torqued to 225, but over several days.

I had so much work going, and I wanted to give myself the best opportunity at longevity, so i torqued the first day. Covered with plastic and retorqued every morning for four days until I ran out of other work and finished the top end.

During the retorque after initial break in all 36 bolts moved. I saw several turn as low as 194 ft lbs

Rideandrepair and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Wow!! I forget the value. I know they upped it and supposedly upgraded the bolts themselves. I asked my mechanic beforehand and he knew about it, and used the new higher values. I guess your experience disproves the opinion that Diesels don’t need to be retorqued.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.