Safeway company drivers

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Air Cooled, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Anyone have any info (personal or otherwise) on driving for this outfit?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Don't know too much about Safeway other than Albertsons own them. They also own ACME as well. If Safeway is run similar to ACME, you just landed a very good job.

ACME use to be owned by SuperValu I think, before Albertsons bought them out. ACME still has a lot of trailers with SuperValu's name on the trailers. Even their distribution center still has SuperValu on the building. I would imagine Safeways union contract might be very similar to ACME, since Albertsons owns both companies.

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Haven't seen him in a long time, but a guy I was friends with worked for Safeway in Washington state and loved the job. He was teamsters union and made good money.

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Grocery hauling, union or not, can be a VERY rewarding job. Be prepared to run ALL hours, 24/7, regardless of the weather. Our top guys are over 100K/yr with full FREE benefits and retirement. Be cautioned that most grocery drivers run a "seniority based" system, that means the top guys take the best schedules and runs. My barn essentially allows us to work as much or little OT as we want, I'll do about 75k on 45 (or so) hours a week this year. I did well over 80k last year, but I worked more hours. It should be noted that I'm in the bottom third of our seniority roster, so not too shabby.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Exactly the same here, except change Washington to Denver.

Mike2633 and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I was doing the grocery thing when Kentucky had all the highways, roads, interstates, closed because of ice. Guess what, that didn't apply to grocery haulers or fuel haulers. State trooper pulled me over and check my paperwork to make sure I was hauling food.

Mike2633 and Pintlehook Thank this.
  8. Pintlehook

Pintlehook Road Train Member

May 2, 2013
    Same thing happened to me in New York a couple years ago. The trooper that stopped me was actually very courteous and wished me safe travels.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The Kentucky trooper that stopped me was the same.

Mike2633 and trucker3205 Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Some of the best ones in the NE contain a cafeteria staffed with cooks and decent food 24/7. Lumping does not matter when you can go up stairs and fuel up for another 4 hours...

11. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Thanks all. They are hiring in an area of WA that I'm looking at. Looking for a company to retire from. I've pulled tanks my whole short career of 5 years. I've never bumped a dock though. But that's not to say I haven't done some VERY interesting backing in a tanker-especially when I hauled fuel.

Mike2633 and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.