Saia linehaul? Anyone have any information about them?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Doesn’t sound like too awful bad of a deal, but cameras and a CB ban are unacceptable to me.

I don’t need to turn a key for anyone that thinks I’m too stupid to run a radio and drive safely like I’ve done every day for the last 18 years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I can agree, although they don't enforce the cb ban. The driver facing camera is the way of the future, and although most are professional enough to be unsupervised, companies need to make policy for the lowest common denominator. I wish that was not true, but it is fact.

I compare the in-cab camera to the security camera at a store, or even in the motor carriers office or dock. The truck is an extention of the workplace and we have no reasonable expectation of privacy while on-duty, especially in a day cab.

If the dock and office can function under 24/7 video surveillance why can't the driver? Now, a sleeper cab is a whole different animal because the truck becomes your home when off-duty, and you do have a right to privacy at that point.

I have never driven for a fleet with driver facing cameras, although I did install one in my truck and have them in all my private vehicles, to cover my own arse.

When used properly they are a great tool to protect both the driver and company. When used just for discipline I take exception. Driver coaching is acceptable, we all have bad habits even those of us with long periods accident free.

4. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Points all taken, but what I was trying to get at was the OP said he was trying to get out of OTR so he asked about Saia, I think what I was trying to suggest is that he gets his app in pronto because of the NEMF situation because there could be a possible influx of experienced ltl drivers from NEMF that may apply also, so he possibly could be competing against them, I would imagine though that the majority of the NEMF drivers will probably hit up union companies first for work and then go from there.

5. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Yeah, I will say this Mack, I don't feel micromanaged, BUT I am linehaul, on the P&D side though it's whole different animal, I wouldn't want to do p&d here.

MACK E-6 and layover6 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I have a pretty nice good deal in comparison. In addition to not having to deal with what you have to, I don’t even have to slip seat either, so take my 1 1/2 cents with a grain of salt. :)

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Make no mistake, I don't begrudge them either, we are all sharing the same stretches of poorly maintained pavement, and I'd happily stop for a truck on the side of the road with their hood up in sub freezing temperatures, regardless of the logo on the truck (maybe with an exception for Western Express... screw those guys)

Agree, I was getting at just thinking that with SAIA's NE expansion under way here that they'd be a bit selective of hiring a BUNCH of union drivers all at once into new territory.

8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    That's a pretty straight forward review man. Thanks. They opened up a barn in the Scranton area not too long ago. I forget the driver pay but one of my buds works in the warehouse they started him right around 18.50 with the chance to get his cdl

brian991219 and Radman Thank this.
  9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    My brother is line haul out of that location, good crew there. They are opening a new one in Newburgh, NY on April 11th, hiring event is coming up in a week or two.

10. viper822004

viper822004 Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2014
    DFW
    Stay away from the p&d side and you’ll be ok. The micromanaging Saia does to its p&d drivers is horrible. I only lasted 9 months back in 2013.

USMC 3531, MACK E-6 and McUzi Thank this.
  11. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Seems like the only way one could get on with this outfit is by going directly to the terminal. I've been trying to get on with Albuquerque Saia for quite some time and no dice yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.