Saia VS ...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Down_VA_I81, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Down_VA_I81

Down_VA_I81 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Just looking for some general details on SAIA.

I recently started a driving job that is a home daily gig. Starts around 5 a.m. Mon - Fri. Assigned trucks, dedicated routes. Pay is only $25/hr, annual raise comes in around 3%. They have an annual bonus around Christmas. Overall, not a bad gig. Around a dozen stops a day, give or take.

A local SAIA barn has offered me a job. City P&D. Maxes at $29 and change. Slip seat and no real set route. TM says there is available line haul runs if interested.

I guess I'm just wondering if the few extra bucks an hour is worth considering a change? It's about 15 minutes closer to my house. tM says it's likely a 40 hour a week gig. I know nothing about SAIA really other than reading the archives here.

Insight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  4. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Well you're also saving 30 minutes a day commuting. Plus you have to look at the benefits too.

5. Down_VA_I81

Aug 22, 2021
    Drove came, while a pain, aren't a deal breaker for me. I'd prefer they not be there for sure, but can live with them if necessary.

I worked a year for Amerigas, and they have over the top rules and heavy handed with cameras and never had an issue.

Local place is mainly a chemical plant, and honestly not too excited with hauling what they produce or a 60 hour work week. If they did time and a half for the last 29, maybe, but 15-20 hours at a flat rate bothers me more than I thought that it would.

Saia manager claims they're closer to 40 hours, which is promising. No real desire to pull 60 + an hour commute each way... Checked the mileage today and I'll save 20 miles and about 20 minutes with the ltl gig (which I've accepted - a supposed raise incoming in a month. I'll have details in insurance and such soon I guess)

6. Down_VA_I81

Aug 22, 2021
    Wow, auto correct "drove came" = drivecam.

Looks like I'm backtracking on SAIA. Driver there claims there are regular runs that are cut and you're either sent home or "asked to" do a line haul run instead. Seems like a lot of aggravation for a couple of bucks.

Thanks

7. rodman71

rodman71 Light Load Member

May 4, 2014
    I did ltl for 25 yrs and didn't realize how much of a pain in the ### it was until I left. I don't miss seniority boards, ### backward loaded trailers, and having to be in a hurry all day. The condition of some of the trucks I drove is a whole other topic.

8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I have very little that’s nice to say about Saia, so I will choose not to poison the OP’s thread with my opinion.

I do think it would be good for @USMC 3531 to weigh in though.

10. Down_VA_I81

Aug 22, 2021
    For better or worse I've decided to stick it out with the local company. Pay could be better, but that's always the case. I'll see what the annual bonus is in December, so that may help. Otherwise it's a standard 3%. The signing bonus helps a bit this first year and I'll give it that long.

FWIW - I'll post info as I get it in case another Virginia driver comes along in need of a gig.

11. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Good move!!
    By the way I heard SAIA will no longer carry firearms.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.