Sales Commision

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by cominghomesc, May 21, 2012.

1. cominghomesc

cominghomesc Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2010
    sc
    For those that have hired a sales person what is the industry standard as far as pay and commision go. Someone who used to work for me as a dispatcher is now a sales rep for a non asset based broker and has a new customer that requires an asset based carrier to handle their freight no brokering at all of their freight. I was trying to figure what I should pay him for this. Just wondering what the industry standard is?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Depends on the volume/rate. Commission % on 100 thousand a year is far more than say 1 million a year. Usually pay out on 2-3 years decreasing %.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    That is likely one of the hardest things to figure out with a situation like you are talking about. You can't have a contract because you know he is not able to enter a contract because he is employed with someone else.

So paying him out on a couple years won't work because he could change jobs and be with an asset based carrier.

Personally I would look at a one time finders fee based on what you all think is fair. Pay enough that he brings you all his asset carrier only contracts.

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Most commission sales are not captive,whereas most salary(or salary/commission)are. If he can"sell"you that customer(might take a few % to the brokerage he works for)you can easily make a few year payout.
    If you are talking about 100-200 thousand for the year a one time pay should be in the 7-8% range. Over three should be in the 5/3/1 range.

6. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I'd start off with a quarterly percentage based on the net profit. We would likely do somewhere between 10-20% of net on each load depending on volume.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.