Sandblasting

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mcast3092, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Mcast3092

Mcast3092 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Hey guys this weekend I’ll be sandblasting and painting my trucks chassis. I’d love some tips and if anyone could tell me what I need to remove/cover. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. Mcast3092

Mcast3092 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I’ll be doing the back half only from cab shocks to mud flaps on a t600

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    A needle scaler works great too without the hassle of a sand blaster

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d like to do mine also. I would cover the back of drums. A friend of mine had all his wheel seals go bad within a year of blasting his frame. I’d also cover the axle breathers, pinion seals, slack adjusters and ujoints, Brake valve.I’m worried about the wires, need to avoid them. I plan on changing all the brake hoses afterwards.. Maybe block off the trans area. That sand gets all over everything. Great question, I’d like to hear others experience. Along with an update on your job. I’m especially curious about the proper media to use.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    ky waldo, AModelCat and Dino soar Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm looking for a really good sandblasting suit and breathing mask. You have to have exactly the right thing because that silica is horrible for your lungs and can do serious damage.

If you found a good place to get that suit and breathing mask could you list it? I've been looking for one and I haven't really found anything.

I'm also curious what kind of a setup you're using. Are you using a shop compressor or renting a compressor? Siphon gun or something else?

Good advice. I was going to say the exact same thing, LOL.

8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I think harbor freight has everything needed. Some reviews on their black ? Media is good. Also some others I’ve seen reviews on, being cost efficient. It’s all on YouTube Lol. The little blaster at HF looks good.

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I have the Harbor Freight Hood but there's some type of respirator that you need that's specially made for silica. Maybe they have something like that at Harbor Freight I may have missed it.

I never used any of their blasters. I used to use a siphon gun but I would imagine the blasting pot would probably work better.

Near me there's a local rental supply that you can buy regular sand blasting sand. It's not very expensive although the media that you buy at Harbor Freight may be safer for your lungs.

The last time I bought it I think either 50 or a hundred pounds was about $10. Can't remember.

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Tractor supply, black diamond is what I was trying to think of. 2 different sizes, medium and fine. $11.00 for 60 lbs. It’s coal slag. They also carry accessories.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Pretty much all the good points have been covered. All I'll add is the job sucks lol.

Just keep it away from wiring, airlines, seals, valves etc. I'd give it a good grease job afterwards to make sure the sand is flushed out of the cams, slacks, u-joints, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.