Satellite TV mount?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LimpyLegs, Jun 24, 2017.

1. LimpyLegs

LimpyLegs Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    I was wondering if any of you knew whether or not I could fit my T.V. satellite into the mount that is already drilled into the back of the cab for the old qualcomm satellite?

I'm basically asking if any of you know whether or not the two are compatible.

If it did fit,I would like to know which satellite you have.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    No idea if they are compatible or not. I have the Pathway X1 for Dish networks on the back of my sleeper.

I had a custom swivel mount made for mine. That way when parked I can raise it to be above other trailers that are parked next to me and not interfere with the line of sight. Then it swing down and pinned out of the way so I dont have to worry about low bridges or tree branches taking it out.

I paid $375 for mine off Ebay. It came with the dish and a compatible HD receiver and remote.

This was my original mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had trouble doing its automatic satellite search because the pole got a little shakey. I now have it mounted directly to the back f the sleeper on a hinged mount that swings up and down.

Hurst.

albert l, x1Heavy and LimpyLegs Thank this.
  4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Here is the scoop. There were 2 styles of QualComm units (older - larger and newer - smaller)

But the answer to your question is the same regardless. The bolt pattern on the TV satellite current models (King and Winegard) are in an 8" X 8" square pattern. That is NOT the same bolt pattern as any QualComm.

In order to re-purpose a QualComm bracket for satellite TV you need to just fabricate a plate. We use aluminum, but I suppose a guy could make it out of just about anything. You bolt the plate to the exiting QualComm Mount and bolt the satellite to the plate that you made. Click the pic below for example.

qc_satellite_tv.jpg

That isn't the real challenge. The REAL problem tends to be that once you put something that is 14" inches tall on top of the QualComm bracket you go over 13'6" height unless you have a mid-roof or lower truck height to begin with.

albert l, flood, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. LimpyLegs

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    I think I might have to do something similar to what Hurst showed me.The only problem is being in a company truck,I'm not sure how they will feel about using the non bolt mount I literally just purchased from you guys.I suppose I could always attach the bolt mount to a plate similar to what you showed me in your pic,and sort of combine it with the concept that Hurst showed me.I might have to do some sort of weird hybrid to make it work.I don't drive a flatbed so it may be difficult to find some holes to try and drill into to support that pole with.Of course this would also render the "in-motion" feature kind of useless unless I could keep the pole raised just slightly above the trailer.But then I would have to worry about it being stable enough.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've seen a few guys that made a bracket and they hang it off their door window. The dish needs a line of sight to the southern sky,.. so which ever side works,.. thats the one you would use.

Be kinda rough when parked between 2 other trucks. Thats why I set mine up to be taller than 13'6 so it can always have clear line of sight,.. even when parked between 2 vans.Then tuck it away so it doesnt hit any bridges or tree branches. The dish was not cheap.

Hurst

LimpyLegs and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Are these things idiot proof plug and play?

So many possibilities.

LimpyLegs Thanks this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the setup I had as a company driver. 100% NO DRILL
    after I mounted the system the set up from driving and watching was about 3-5 min. take down to driver 1-2 min.
    can't be blocked by other trucks and if it was raining, snowing I didn't have to store it in the truck wet.... I had the dish from an upgrade I did at the house and had the dish box (2 tv dvr) left from the same upgrade. so all I had to buy was the mast and sum U bolts.... don't use it now because my new dish (home box) has sling built in so I can watch anything on the system at home over the internet

company hated it but nothing they could do because it was a no drill

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    albert l, LimpyLegs and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. LimpyLegs

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    I want to be able to mount a pole to the back of the truck if possible.The picture flood posted looks somewhat promising.

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    this is all the parts i used
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the mast I got it at Iowa 80
    [​IMG]
    the mount setup
    1st U bolts hold the back brace to the handles
    [​IMG]
    2nd U bolts hold the mast to the brace
    [​IMG]
    then I drilled out the 4 welds that held the arm in place and replaced them with bolts. the reason I did this was so the arm could fold down by taking out 1 bolt when driving. when folded is only sticks out 6" from the back of the sleeper
    [​IMG]
    a pad was added to the arm and to the mast and a short bungee cord holds the arm tight to the mast when driving

albert l and LimpyLegs Thank this.
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Yeah pretty much. I ordered the dish and the compatible HD receiver. I cant do DVR,.. but everything else is just like it would be like if at home.

On mine when I first turn it on. There is a screen that comes on for the dish. It asks me what region I am in,.. State etc. I put that in and then the dish spends about 2 - 5 mins looking for the satellites and letting you know which local channels are available. Dish gets its power from the coax cable from the receiver.

Hurst

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.