Satellite TV.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by lost boy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    Well, if you don't mind going "gray market", you can always buy an FTA receiver (Coolsat or Viewsat would be my choices), flash the receiver to decode Dishnetwork/BellXPressvu, and get a Winegard Movin' View "mushroom" antenna. It will receive satellites at 91, 101, 110, and 119 degrees and is designed as an in motion antenna. The antenna is pricey at about $1500, but is really an all in one solution. FTA receivers can be purchased for $170 and up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Been using my SlingBox for the last week! Finally got the kinks worked out and it is amazing. If you get good cell signal you can watch what's on your home system. You have to buy the wireless modem from your cell provider and you have to buy the SlingBox......but you don't have to pay any extra for any Satellite or Cable and you don't have to have a dish sticking up off your truck.....and don't have to get rained on to tune it in when it's raining. Just plug in the modem.....connect to the internet.....hit the SlingBox button.....and start watching! Technology....got to love it!

4. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    That Slingbox is a MUST have for anyone wanting to bring home with you. Would be real awesome when your stuck at a shipper/reciever overnight, watching tv from home. I can't believe how cheap it is, plus no monthly fees!

5. AlohaWolfana

AlohaWolfana Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2007
    LHC, AZ
    SLINGBOX sounds like a great option for my husband. We've been considering a satellite hookup. But if slingbox doesn't incur any additional monthly fees and runs off our current home setup - it sounds like a deal to me. Thanks for the information!!

6. VULCAN1999

VULCAN1999 World's #1 Grandpa

Jul 28, 2007
    Bunnell, FL
    You do have to have cable box at home that you won't be using at home it works from it. Basically it hooks up to the cable box it like a modem would and trasnfers the media to your laptop. I'm going to get another DVR from my cable company and put it in a room by itself, it will cost me $11.95 for extra DVR. I want to be able record things on that DVR and watch them when on the road, especially Florida Gator games. Yes their winning today 28-3 GO GATORS

7. Global Trucker

Global Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Murray, KY
  8. BigCountryChef

BigCountryChef Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009

that sound very cool

9. BigCountryChef

BigCountryChef Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2009
    sounds like a great idea is there a monthly fee

10. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Other than the monthly fees for cable (or SAT) and broadband card for your laptop, no there are no additional "monthly fees".

BigCountryChef Thanks this.
  11. WingRider

WingRider Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Salem, OR
    How is the video quality on the Slingbox? Is it choppy like when you try to download video clips from the net? And how about broadband usage issues, will you max out your monthly allowance?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.