SAV Express Minneapolis, Mn

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by smurf-316, Jan 25, 2017.

1. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks for the response Smurf.

Have you been to Florida with them ?

Also, how long did it take you to get hired on with them and into orientation ?

I just submitted an application with them tonight

Thanks

tank4life Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    On a side note, I actually don't mind the autos, I was just asking as a general question .

I hate backing up with them in tight places because of the lunging and inconsistent speed(at least with the Eaton 10 spd autoshift) but my left knee and upper body really like not having a clutch !!

4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    such a deal!

5. smurf-316

smurf-316 Resident Nut Case

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    I would say give our recruiter Megan a call. That's what I had to do. They just don't have a lot of openings and sometimes it takes a while to get hired. We have a pretty low turnover rate for the trucking industry. I applied for the position the week after Thanksgiving and did not get hired until the first week of January. So about a month and a half but that was probably because of the holidays. She may very well tell you she does not have any openings at this time but you can get on as long as you're patient and don't have to go right at the moment. You will most likely be the only one in orientation I was by myself the whole time.

6. TripleM-Trans

TripleM-Trans Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Michigan
    @smurf-316 its good to see that your happy at Sav and your able to enjoy trucking again. I thought beacon was going to be a good company but I guess not, and I always wondered how things were at Sav. They seem a lot better than I could've imagined. Good luck with your new company.

smurf-316 and carramrod32 Thank this.
  7. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Was able to get some home time. Two days off then a load from Thomasville North Carolina to Calhoun Georgia. Picking up another load in Norcross Georgia Heading to Wisconsin.

tank4life, harpole83 and Lonesome Thank this.
  8. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    2872 miles for the week. So far mainly Wisconsin and Minnesota to North Carolina and Georgia. I'm not complaining the miles are good.

9. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    So one month into my new adventure I thought I would give my insight so far.

This company is very well managed. From the owner down to your dispatcher they are very accessible and easy to talk to. There is no micromanagement here. Trucks are not loaded with all of the safety features you will find that most companies. There is no radar on the front of your truck. There is no Lane departure warning. And of course there is no camera. Truck maintenance seems to be up to par. We have a mechanic who does most of the Light maintenance and heavy maintenance is done by Freightliner. The miles here are fantastic as far as I'm concerned. You will run and you will run hard. You will know your next load long before you deliver the one you have. There is very little down time. So far I have never had to wait on a load. There are also lots of light loads. Mostly punctuated by some 40,000 Plus in between.

They pretty much leave you alone. They leave it to you to plan your fuel stops and Route yourself. Any Flying J or Pilot as well as Love's will do. One thing I love is they will get you home when you ask. I've never had to fight with anyone or bag my dispatcher to get home. I personally go home every other weekend but of course some of our guys like to stay out longer. The choice is yours. The pay is decent at 42 CPM. But running close to 3000 miles per week makes for a decent check. The load planning as far as I can tell is top notch. We also have a 24-hour driver hotline where someone is always available to take your call. For anyone with two years or more of experience looking for a nice steady paycheck. I would highly recommend SAV. They told me when I first started sitting trucks make no money. And I think they live by that philosophy.

10. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    I would hope you do not have to bag your dispatcher to get home ! You know what you ment . Kidding a side , glad you found a fit for you !

11. smurf-316

Oct 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    So I brought a load from Louisville Tennessee to right above Milwaukee Wisconsin. I am down to around nine hours so I thought I would get a reset. Wrong. I was getting 8 hours back at midnight so I get a Oregon run. Milwaukee to Portland 1784 miles! You have enough time to do it. Just take a reset along the way. If you say so!.....lol and by the way we're giving you a $0.02 raise to bump you up to 44 CPM. Not even been here 60 days and already a $0.02 raise. No complaints on my end!

D LOOK, bzinger, Lonesome and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.