Savannah Georgia. Owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hark, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Hark

Hark Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Hey guys. I'm looking to move to savvanah GA doing intermodal as a owner operator. How much can I net a week working 5 days home daily.? I'm in Chicago now and I am sick and tired of the weather playing a big factor in work schedule and truck problems . Any information would help. Any recommendations on to what company to lease on to ? I applied to road one and reliable transportation so far. But I haven't committed to anyone yet .. I also have tanker and hazmat endorsement if that's a good option let me know please ..side note I'm a father of 6 kids... So I have a big family to support
    Thanks in advance

caracelles Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. caracelles

caracelles Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2018
    So no replies? Huh

Well, I am not a trucker or anyone in the industry, but I do know Georgia and it's hot. And it's humid. And Savannah is not only hot and humid, but it's very attractive to hurricanes and wealthy people, so you have a pretty high cost of living.

I lived for a short time in Asheville NC. I was there during the hottest part of the summer, and it got warm, but it was not miserable. I think the hi was like 88. I am sharing this because my trailer ended up near there, in Hendersonville. And in trying to find somebody to move it back down to Georgia for me, I discovered that they can't hire enough truckers in that area. Or at least that's what they tell me. I don't know what they pay, or anything else, but it's a beautiful part of the country, has fairly moderate weather, and the cost of living is not Sky High.

My dad lives in Georgia, in the middle, kind of on the East, Maybe three or four hours from Savannah. He said that they were having a heatwave the last time I talked to him. I asked him how long that had lasted, and he said it lasted all through last winter! They were having temperatures there in the hundred and teens. I thought that was unbelievable! I can't give you any advice, I'm just sharing what I know. What a blessing having six kids! Best to you!

4. Hark

Hark Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2016
    I appreciate your input Thank you for your time

caracelles Thanks this.
  5. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    You thought it was unbelievable because it was. I've been in GA for 25 years and never have we had a heat wave that lasted ALL winter in the hundred and teens. Hell I don't remember any time EVER even in the middle of summer that the temperatures got up to 110 + . Thats some Arizona/Nevada type stuff never down here in Georgia . . .

caracelles Thanks this.
  6. caracelles

Nov 15, 2018
    I'm so I'm so sorry, and I'm laughing at myself now, because what I wrote did sound like that's exactly what he was saying! But I was talking to him during the hottest part of the summer, and he was telling me that the temperatures were in the hundreds and teens. I had actually been down there for most of January that year, so I knew it wasn't that hot in January. But I also know that I was in summer skirts and sleeveless blouses most of the time I was there and spent quite a bit of time out side down on the dock at the lake. I didn't have to ask him what winter temperatures were like, I guess because I was there? I'm so sorry I miss represented what he said. what part of Georgia do you live in? if you don't mind my asking?

Badmon Thanks this.
  7. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    I'm 20 minutes north of Atlanta

caracelles Thanks this.
  8. caracelles

Nov 15, 2018
    Yeah, I'm a little further north, and it doesn't get as hot here as it does in middle Georgia. I am about three hours drive north and I refuse to go down there except after October and up until February-March. Any other time of year the lake feels like bathwater. I end up doimg the witch thing in wizard of Oz, 'I'm melting, I'm melting!' lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.