Saved From Scrap

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by AModelCat, Oct 26, 2015.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I haven't really looked too hard for anything yet. The 4 brackets for the cab rear crossmember were pretty rough and haven't had any luck finding them. Could have gotten new ones bent up but I figure I could save $300-$500 by fixing them myself. I've got 1 of 3 cracked ones fixed today though.

Jazz1 and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Anybody ever pull a carrier on a diff before? Believe it or not I've never pulled a diff on an on highway truck. I don't know the model my diff is since the tag is gone but its a Rockwell with a locker. I seem to recall from school that you need to engage the diff lock prior to removing the axle on the locker side and pulling the carrier assembly. Is that correct?

4. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Have you ever been into a CAT loader differential? like a 980 or so? set up the same way.

I lock the slide collar before pulling the axles. if you only pulling an axle like to do a wheel seal it's definitely a must.

SAR, Dye Guardian and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Never have. I've had a couple diffs and pinions apart in school but they were already pulled out of the housing. I figure I may as well yank the carrier on this diff to get a good look at it plus reseal it before I dump a pail of synthetic into it lol.

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It isn't nothing you can't handle.

SAR and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  7. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Having just came in for dinner in the middle of sliding my carrier out to get some sizeable axle chunks out, and being reminded what that synthetic gear oil costs I sure don't blame you for not wanting to waste any!

wore out Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Check these out! Wanted to keep them under wraps until later but its all over Facebook now so what the hell. Just picked them up and I'm extremely impressed with these. They are the rear cab mount brackets that bolt to the frame and support the cab crossmember. 20170713_133921.jpg

BIGZILLA and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  9. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Needs powdercoat. Me likey.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They're getting primed and painted tonight, along with a crap ton of other parts I picked up from the sandblaster today.

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Having errors uploading photos but I've got the diff and suspension pretty much ready to be bolted in. I'll do the brakes, wheel seals and suspension bushings once its all bolted in place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.