Saved From Scrap

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by AModelCat, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    The one thing I will dog my beloved Caterpillar's on, their lovely front and rear structures.

Brakesavers are nice though. They take a little to keep sealed up but they're sure nice to have, I enjoy having mine on my tractor I pull a lowboy with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I should never have seen this. That's gonna cost me a pretty penny and take up space in my shop for a while once I am to the point in my life where I've got play money in that volume. Motor would look good in a old cleaned up C5 or LW Kenworth.

Oxbow, Ozdriver and lots of character Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Where do those brakesavers usually leak from? Mine looks like its leaking out at the joint between the 2 pipes and the bottom of the housing. Doesn't surprise me because I can only see 2 bolts holding it on the front side of the pipes.

The fastest I could hit was 5th gear so I never really had much of a chance to see how effective it is. I didn't notice the whining noise that other Cat's with Brakesaver's seem to have though.

5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well if I throw the shutters in the garbage I might be able to squeeze one in there and delete the wjac cooler in the manifold.

6. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    What is a wjac?

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Water jacketed after cooling. It's the big cooler in the intake manifold that uses engine coolant to cool the intake air.

lots of character Thanks this.
  8. Caterpillar Cowboy

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Been a while since I was looking right at the Brakesaver under there. I tried thinking back and had about a paragraph written out, but wasn't sure if I was remembering right exactly, and I don't want to give out bad information.

A few old boys told me though when I asked them about it, they'll leak about anywhere there's an o-ring or a gasket.

9. Ozdriver

Ozdriver Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    I got mine completely overhauled last year. Anywhere where there is an 0 ring it can leak. The control module under the brakesaver, the big oil pipes to the oil cooler, the big oil pipes to the brakesaver from the engine block. It's not that hard to reseal them with new CAT O rings and Loctite 515 or 518 and the parts book/engine manual. You can get all the info/part numbers from CAT website also.

10. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Anyone have a pic of how the radiator mounts on these older KW's? Going to look at a 1966 W921 Tomorrow. And its going to have to have motor, trans and Radiator on it.
    Its easy done, along with being done every week. How do you think these guys take a 220" Wheelbase tractor and turn them into a 300"+ Wheelbase? They cut the frame add rail material. Then weld it up and there you have just done the same thing as fixing a cracked frame. Now they don't want Bubba welding up his cracked frame. And not doing it right, but frames are cut welded every day.
    Pete

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Not sure if my '80 would be the same but I happen to be at home today and working on the truck. I could try and snap a couple pics and post them here later today.

tnpete Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.