saving money

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by d_man, Aug 7, 2012.

1. d_man

d_man Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    So ive heard that being a long haul trucker makes it easy to save up money because you are constantly on the road. Is this true and what is the best way to save and manage your money as a long haul driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drdave

drdave Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Figure out a realistic budget and stick to! Having a fridge in your truck, and stocking it at Walmart will save you tons. Don't let your family talk you out of every dollar that you get. And get a cell phone with unlimited minutes and text. These little tips can save you about $300.00 a month.

4. NewbieRick

NewbieRick Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Pacific, mo
    From my readings, food is your number 1 expense. Showers aretaking care of by rewards programs such as flying j and pilot (which have merged) so they will have the same rewards program. Even TA has driver rewards.

5. HwyPrsnr

HwyPrsnr Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Anywhere, USA
    Like drdave said. Also, stay out of the truckstops. No sense throwing your money away just cause youre bored.

6. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    If you go extreme and live in the truck and basically just have a cell phone... Takes 1/4 of 1 weeks pay to cover bills.

But actually working that hard seems like something all the newbies want. But..... They usually wash out and go home after a month or two.

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    if you can get into an aldis they are even cheaper then walmart soda is
    just $2.29 a 12 pack. Once a week I treat myself to sit down meals and a motel room
    cell phone and mifi for the computer keep me sane

8. drdave

drdave Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I have TMobile phone, with unlimited talk, text, and chat. I use the free wifi that my phone has for the computer, this saved me tons on down time. That way I do not have to pay for the truckstops bad wifi anymore. The cool part is that my phone is only $54.00 a month.

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    You should be able to save,

regardless of occupation.

Alot of folks never save, no matter what....

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    This first thing you should do is list your monthly bills and make up a budget. Allow something for entertainment, too. Make a commitment to save either a fixed amount out of every paycheck or a percentage. I would recommend that you have a minimum amount you save each week. If you have a larger paycheck one week then you can add the extra to your savings account. Once you get used to saving it isn't a big deal. The trick is to start and save just like you are paying another bill. Everyone needs to have money saved. Even if you can only afford to save $25/week. You will be surprised at how quickly your savings will build. Don't touch your savings. Put money into the account and forget about it.

11. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    Make sure you keep money on hand for things like tolls and so forth and DO NOT take out advances on your check ! once you get on that roller coaster your toast is so hard to get out of. borrow a hundred this week now your short a hundred next and so forth. Plan plan ! and then plan again just in case. because as sure as I'm breathing now something some day will happen !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.