SCAC Code

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ben Grinev, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Ben Grinev

Ben Grinev Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Do I need to apply for a SCAC code? Had a customer require me to put one down on their form.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I don't even know what it is but I have never needed it

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It depends on what you do and if you are working under your own authority.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Us border hoppers use it. It's a unique 4 digit code assigned to your company identifying who is taking the load into the USA. Used for customs purposes. We have a similar system for loads going into Canada, a different code but still 4 digits and unique to your company. We call ours a Carrier Code. Same idea.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  6. Ben Grinev

Ben Grinev Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Yes we have our own authority. But why does a shipper need something like this?

7. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    They uses that code in the ports @ times too. I remember the port of Baltimore being one of them

8. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    If you are working under your own authority and using direct larger customers you will want want. If you are running your own authority and no direct customers just brokers probably don't need it. It's basically a private based system to identify carriers. I have it, it's cheap to maintain and easy to get.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  9. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    When doing military household movers. You need a scac code to file your tariff (rates) with the base.

10. MHC

MHC Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2012
    CA
    Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC)...You will need it in & out of ports, rail yards, chemical companies, and some military installations, among others. If you plan to PU / drop at these type of places, you will need one (see www.nmfta.org). These same places usually require the driver have a TWIC as well (see www.tsa.gov). And if you are making these kind of stops, you might as well get UIIA registered - Uniform Intermodal Interchange Agreement (see www.uiia.org).
    If you are carrying a brokered load, then you can get by using the broker's SCAC, but not sure about using their UIIA registration.
    Personally, I stopped booking these type of loads and let our SCAC & UIIA expire - with all the credentials required, then the long load times...Just too much hassle, even with the great pay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.