Scale Ettiquette

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by goblue, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    That scale on 65 NB into KY always REDS my prepass even when empty. I think that the speed limit sign is 10mph to roll thru the scales. It is ALWAYS full to the interstate. Just rememeber that one next time and everytime you are headed that way. Prepare ahead of time to stop.

goblue Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    yep...thats the one i passed. There was a cop in the median break about 5 miles north and he pulled out behind me but then went flying by northbound at a high rate of speed..never saw him again, he went somewhere. The TN scale north of that was closed, seems like they could team up and do half and half.

4. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    And don't forget in NC green means go. Some coupes even have a hand posted sign saying this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

5. JayTee

JayTee Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013

It is 10mph thru any scale in KY. And don't try and ride thru a whole lot faster. The scale on 71 SB just past the 75 split wrote up a friend of mine for doing 16mph on the approach to the scale.

goblue Thanks this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    ya you would think would'nt you.But they all don't operate the same way and get away with it.Wer're suppose to automatically know the procedure with every scale in every state.Heck they all don't know the HOS and I bet most don't have a clue how to check the paperless logs.But that's ok,they're the law and can do anything they please.

mje and goblue Thank this.
  7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Went over on in WI a while back. Sign said speed limit 30 entering the scale so I slowed to 30. Some guy come flying up behind and gets on the CB saying 'why so slow, you must have something to hide'. I got the green arrow for the bypass lane and he got the red X. Go figure.

mje and aiwiron Thank this.
  8. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I think it is just to let the four wheelers pass us.

That is what another drive here told me when I got a red "Stop" light on my prepass and then the sign for the coop said "closed". The ramp was pretty full, but not completely.

He said, "I obey whichever one is telling me to drive on by!"

Someone poste here that the WIM sensors are calibrated for the specific speed posted. Going faster or slower will affect accuracy and may get you routed into the right lane for stopped weight.

I was rolling up 39 into WI, I can't remember if the scale is north or south of where 90 joins. You need to be in the right lane for the sensors, and they have big signs telling each individual truck whether to enter or stay on the highway an bypass.

Well there was a state cop on the shoulder, right next to the sensors, with his lights on! So we all had to move into the center lane, since it is the safe thing to to and is the law in some if not all states.

He was forcing us to miss the sensors for some reason and the sign never lit up telling any of us to enter...

They do some weird things.

Mikeeee

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    TN and KY can't work together because they both want the revenue. Observance is the key and eventually you'll remember each scale. Not only look for signs, look at the scalemaster. Some might have their back to you or are reading a newspaper. Until you learn, when in doubt prepare to stop, still green then go. Look on the ground for painted stop lines. No lines it's probably a rolling scale. A speedlimit sign of 3-5 mph is another indicator it's a rolling scale. If there is a red light/green light then prepare to stop. A good scalemaster will green light the truck in front of you and soon as his view is past the light he will immediately return it red for the next truck in. So if it's an empty scale the light should be red. He's not going to try and trick you at the last second.

Some scales have painted lines for your drives. Those I usually angled my mirror down ahead of time makes it easier to hit the target. Scalemasters get mad when they got to tell you to back up or give you other commands. One of fetishes of their job.

TN let's you bypass the ramps when full. I take advantage of that every time I can. Knoxville scales it's easy to let a bunch of trucks pass you and you can get a bypass.
    With you having prepass and a redlight prepare to get on the shoulder. They have a TV screen inside that lists the trucking companies info as you approach. The names are color coordinated to your transponder light. If you blow the scales with a red light it will flash your companies name in red on the screen. I've seen scales where the DOT got the screen to their back and don't pay attention to it but it varies. Usually that's because they pulled a bunch around back and are busy checking their paperwork. Usually when the ramp backs up the scalemaster will close the scales for a few minutes to clean things up. They ain't always staring at the ramp. They might be focusing at a truck crossing the scales or have drivers inside.

If you get called inside always take your CDL, medical card, bills, logbook, permit book/truck registration/insurance in with you.

g.o.a.l and mje Thank this.
  10. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.