Schneider apprenticeship

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by SuspiciousSam, Nov 14, 2018.

1. sweetlou2688

sweetlou2688 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2019
    So when they send you to get your license do they provide a truck for you, or do you have to rent one on your own?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Is there anyone here that has completed this other Elreypj? He never posted again that I can see. This sounds like a good deal if there is nothing to sign. I would think they'd want a pro rated payback if you don't stay though. Any more info on this would be appreciated. Schneider's website doesn't give much of anything.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. dleejuly83

dleejuly83 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2021
    I ended up doing the Schneider CDL "Cat" apprenticeship program summer of 2019 but sadly I didn't make it. I kept up with someone else in the program and they made it farther than me but they came off the highway faster than the posted speed 3 times because they didn't slow down fast enough. When they got back someone from the office told them the TE didn't pass him so he would have to pay to take the cdl test on his own and then reapply to work there

I had no prior experience so I got super nervous driving the truck and wasn't sure what I was doing since its much different than a car and didn't want to wreck. I had never actually driven a truck outside of in the parking lot with cones so I didn't know how to "drive the trailer" so to speak. This first attempt on the road was in-town driving with construction yet you have to be ready to drive in any situation. I stopped the truck in a safe place and told the trainer I would let him finish the ride home for safety reason. In the end I didn't give up because I didn't think I could do it but because it seems some people naturally can do this. It seems to either be in your blood or not. One person said it was just a bad trainer yet I think he was doing me a favor looking back. He knew I wasn't cut out for it and he didn't want me to waste my time going further and end up in more disappointment. He was prob a 30+ industry vet so I trusted his judgement.

Schneider overall was a very classy company and paid for my bus ride home and because I had a good attitude I was put as "eligible for rehire". I still get recruitment letters from them. They also paid for my motel room the entire time I stayed in a very good location and they had a bus driver pick us up at the hotel every morning. The trainers were industry vets who all had unique personalities with alot of great advice . Classroom time wasn't bad. It was mainly alot of paperwork and taking DOT physicals to make sure you were up to date along with drug tests. I saw one guy go home because he failed his drug test. They also gave u free meals which were unique everyday cooked in a cafeteria. The program is free and I was not charged anything for it. You have to get up super super early but I found once the day was over you were about ready for bed. The trainers mix the "Cats" with the "Dogs", Dogs meaning drivers who already driven for another company but were coming to train Schneider's way.

I might consider the industry again once my son gets older and If I do I will make sure I am totally comfortable driving a truck by renting one first. An error on my part as I assumed I would magically learn to drive it once I stepped inside the cabin. I would spend the 150+ to rent one first and find a vet that can show you what is really all about versus the glamorized version you have in your head. I still think its a great industry full of people who are smarter than the public realize and do alot to make sure we are safe on the road. It at least gave me a new respect for drivers and the amount of stress and split second decision making that goes into this. I assume once you "get it" the job is very rewarding. I just wasn't ready for whatever reason but I am not bitter about it because its not automatically a shoe in type thing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Reason for edit: more information.
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs