Schneider Bulk vs Averitt Express dedicated flat

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Haystak88, May 25, 2017.

1. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    Ok drivers, I have a decision to make. I've been offered a position by each company, and supposed to report for orientation next week. Each claim to pay the same, roughly $65,000 (although we all know that is most likely not true). Each claim to offer the same home time, for the most part. Benefits and all that are the usual from big companies like these. There are pros and cons to each company I'm realizing. At Schneider I would be in their bulk tanker division, and Averitt on a dedicated flatbed account, hauling PODS (those portable storage units) to their customer yards and warehouses. I've researched as much as I can, and can't decide. So, I'm hoping some of you may have some insight for me. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    Averitt trucks are auto, all have APU's and inverters.i also believe Averitt ins. Is cheaper. But you must deal with the issues of flatbread

Haystak88 Thanks this.
  4. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to learn to haul bulk liquid product or do you want to learn a very limited segment of flat bedding. It you want to go flatbed, I would learn it from a company that will teach you everything about it and have you hauling different kinds of freight to build your skills

gentleroger and Haystak88 Thank this.
  5. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    I also think Milton trucks are equipped with APU

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I believe Averitt insurance is about $30/wk for single and $100/wk for family. Medical, dental, vision. Company also has short & long term disability you can add. I would suggest you consider which type of trucking you prefer and has a future for you.

7. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    I've been driving tanker the past four years in the oilfield, but if I go with Schneider it would be my first time hauling different types of products. I don't have much experience with flatbed, although these containers seem to be a lot easier than other types of flatbed work. Unfortunately, I'm still no closer to a decision. The only thing I can say is that the dedicated account with Averitt could possibly be more consistent. I just don't know which way to go, and I have one more day to make a decision.

8. iono54321

iono54321 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2017
  9. iono54321

iono54321 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2017
    Sorry, I drove for SNI Tankers, a lot of hard work, which is fine, however the summer can really suck. Expect to 34s once a week, you don't get paid at the tank wash, I.e. Getting pump clean. With the new choice program for tankers, I'm not sure how that affects the company drivers, but I know if I'm selecting loads it won't be ones with long load/off load times nor if it requires the rubber suit...so where does this leave the company driver, this is the reason I did not return to them after an extended vacation

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  10. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    The Averitt PODS is a dedicated account, but I do know that when it's slow, they go back to they're "normal" routine of hauling the usual skateboard stuff; Wood, slinkies, etc... So you can possible do more than just PODS. As for yearly pay... You and I both know that will depend on a number of things, so...

Depending on where you would run out of, you might be in a sleeper or possible even a day cab. (They are still dedicated, but just run short hauls)

As for the bennies... All the usual Averitt stuff still applies, but instead of the collared button down shirt that most of us wear, you'd wear the Averitt T-shirt (still red of course) The regional flat-bed pay tops at .46 CPM, but I am not sure how much the PODS folks make...

Hope it helps some...

Edit:
    Found this on the Averitt Careers website (for regional flatbed)

Flatbed Driver Pay:
    Experienced Drivers with at least 1 year of tractor trailer experience will have a start pay of:
    .43 cpm= starting pay
    .44 cpm at the end of 6 months
    .45 cpm at the end of 12 months
    .46 cpm at the end of 18 months
    **(all pay ranges have the potential to earn an additional .01cpm fuel bonus)
    ** this has since been changed to a new type of program**

You will also earn:
    - $15 load secure fee paid on every load (for strapping, chaining, etc.).
    - $60 tarp pay
    - $12.50 on re-tarp (in the event of a stop off)
    - $25 stop pay (not to include origin or destination)
    - $7.50 for a load picked up from yard and required to un-tarp before delivery
    - Breakdown ($14/hr: takes effect after 2 hrs. not to exceed 10 hrs in a 24 hr period)
    - Layover ($100 after a 24 hr period- allowed 50 miles)
    - Detention ($20/hr after 2 hrs for majority of customers)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  11. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    I was told I will be operating the entire US and Canada, so definitely a sleeper. They also said full uniforms, and nothing about tshirts. Also, my tattoos have to be covered at all times, which I replied by saying, we are truck drivers, right? I'm not crazy about uniforms, but whatever. As long as I make close to what I was quoted it's fine. I just hope I'm not making a mistake by going with them, which I guess I just decided to do. Thanks to all for your input.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.