Schneider IC

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Mikem1961, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Mikem1961

Mikem1961 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    york,Pa
    Hey guys. Just wondering how you all run your business. Are there loads you stay away from? Places you stay out of because the loads coming out don't pay as well. I have a buddy doing it and he stays away from the heavier loads. Just wondering how you all stream line your business to make it as profitable as possible for you. I know fuel cost are up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pasmurf

pasmurf Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I saw a Schneider management type comment in Landline? about how one of their OOs kept the speed at 60 and was able to go home an additional 40 days a year for the same pay. I saw Volvo advertise a lower rpm which they claim could be a 3% fuel savings. I'm exploring a lot before I take the trucking plunge mysedl myself.

4. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    #1 rule in choice: NEVER GO TO C&S WHOLESALE IN YORK PA

Me personally:
    *I like to drive at 60MPH (most of the time, lol)
    *Light loads, light LOADS LIGHT LOADS!!
    *FL can be tricky to get out of with a decent paying load, TX seems to be that way as well.
    *I baby my truck, keep it very clean, try my best to stay out of the salt and PM 4x as often as some other drivers that I've talked to (one driver did PMs once every 60k... this made me cringe, but to each his own!) -- People may laugh at this but its the way I always have and always will be about my vehicles - I'd much rather spend a little more in advance they spend a WHOLE lot and not be making any money sitting in the shop with major repairs.
    *I work on the truck myself whenever possible, save a TON of money that way

Yeah... fuel is the big one, honestly how you drive will affect your paycheck more than anything. Unless you're lucky enough to be able to find constant runs that let you burn your 70 to the ground only stopping for 10hour breaks, you'll have plenty of time to slow down to 60MPH instead of running 75MPH, and still get the loads there on time. If you could constantly stay moving without ever having any kind of a layover, then yeah I'm sure there is a point at which it would make sense to drive faster and get more miles compared to driving slower and getting less. But in reality, if I show up at the truck stop at 8pm for a 9am delivery the next day, what advantage does the driver headed to the same place, with the same appointmet time, who drove 75MPH and got to the truck stop at 6:30PM have over me? Ok yeah yeah he got a better parking spot.

rickybobby Thanks this.
  5. sadwar

sadwar Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Lockport, IL
    What's the zip code shown on the board for C&S so I can avoid them?

6. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I don't know the zip, but when I made the mistake going there. I took some pallets up to Hazleton, Pa. If you see something from York to Hazleton, its mostly C&S. You can also call your DBL, before you book a load. Another tip is when you picking up an relay, always call your dbl and see what time its going to be drop at the yard. Relays can be tricky, so call first. You can tell if its a relay, if you see 5 pre loaded trls around and OC, its mostly relays.

7. realsupatrucka

realsupatrucka Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2013
    houston tx
    Get your truck from a dealer...Most people fail in there lease...my opinion is leasing isn't a smart move

8. atruckr

atruckr Road Train Member

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    Personally, 2 things that I focus on is time management and picking the loads.

1. I don't do 34's while out running (typically). It has happened where I've done a 34 because loads/scheduled got so messed up I ended up sitting over a weekend or something like that. But for the most part I run the truck everyday 8-9 hrs a day 6 days a week and at least 1, 3-6hr day. This way you can keep your clock rolling and be more productive and more relaxed. Running 11 hrs a day means you will have to pick your loads tight and run like a mad man! Some do it that way and it is fine but I like 8-9 hr days.

2. Pick as many high paying loads as possible! Over $1.50

9. Mikem1961

Mikem1961 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    york,Pa
    My problem when I first started was allowing too much time between loads. Gave myself too much time to pick up the next one. Being in an area I wasn't familiar with. That corrected itself with time. C&S I didn't think was bad if you were loading there. Took a load there and spent 7 hours. waiting to get counted. I live 30 mins. from there so that's why I did it. Big ooppsss. My wife thinks im a little picky about loads. But to me to take a 45000 lb load 300 miles for $400.00.. that to me is not worth it. You scale then you cant get it legal then your going back to shipper to have them rework it. Waste of time. The 60mph is a must for fuel savings.

10. Mikem1961

Mikem1961 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    york,Pa
    Another thing I have to be honest about when I first started... too many dead head miles between loads. I would drive a couple extra miles for a lighter, better paying load.

11. atruckr

atruckr Road Train Member

May 14, 2011
    Victorville CA
    I hear ya! My wife thinks I'm too picky as well. However picking the loads I believe is very important. I try don't not to be on a cheap and/or heavy load for very long. I will dead head as far as necessary if it pays more per mile to run it than the loads near me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.