Schneider National Orientation

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by firemedic2816, Oct 9, 2018.

1. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Day 1 Schneider Attempt #2

October 09, 2018
    Oct 02 2018

After arriving at Training Center on 10/03/2018, went in for my DOT Physical, and the Dr. said my glands in my neck were swollen and my throat was hurting and was just feeling under the weather. Well because of the swollen glands and sore throat they decided to send me home. So went to family Dr. who diagnosed me with Viral Sinus Infection, but NO FLU. So sat at home and rested for the week and called my recruiter to get set up for this week. (one benefit of such a large company this orientation starts every week)

10/08/2018
    Arrived back in Indianapolis around 20:00, got to the hotel and find out they have no rooms available, and I need to call Schneider Travel center to make other arrangements. So I called them and they had NO Record of me supposing to be here, and no idea what to do. Well I told her I am NOT driving all the way home, and we need to figure something out. So for the time being they put me in the Country Inn and Suites and said Training center could figure it out Tuesday.

10/09/2018
    Arrived at the Training center at 645 after a decent nights sleep. Tried to sign in to make sure my medical information was okay, and guess what "NO Information Available" So they tell me to call this company to get me signed in. NO INFORMATION, so I need to call my driver recruiter and have her put me into the system. Oh thank goodness that her days off are Monday and Tuesday, so told the lead instructor, and he said he would handle it. So after an hour they got me INTO the system. So off to Physical, Urine Screen and got to have parts of my legs shaved for the hair follicle test. Stood up and got to the area for my eye screening, and my left eye went blury so after it happening twice, she asked how long ago had it been since I had an eye exam. I said July, she said ah your okay, onward to the Dr for the physical, and wait behind 8 other students. Got into finally see the Dr, and she asked for my CPAP compliance so I handed her the paper work and she said this is great for 30 days but if you want a YEAR medical card I will need at least 90 days compliance, of course you will. So we continue the physical and pass all that with no issues. So I leave the office and go call the pulmonary people. They of course can't find the information so I give them the fax number and send it IF they other find it. well how about that 10 mins they call back and say they have the information and they are going to fax it to the Dr. 5 mins later the Dr brings me my medical card for a year. Woo Hoo Finally. Rest of the day BORING Paperwork. Tomorrow hopefully will be better. Got to the Extended Stay got my room assignment and found out I would have a roommate which is cool with me, but he was under the impression that he would be by himself, so he was a little upset about that but it will work out I hope.
    Needless to say SATAN Showed up in a big way these last 2 weeks, but with lots of prayer and patience he was defeated. Thanks Be to God

Thanks for Traveling with me
    Live
    Laugh
    Love One Another
    firemedic2816

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Keep us posted

firemedic2816 and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Rn8806

Rn8806 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Wish you the best hope all goes well

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  5. firemedic2816

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    October 10 2018

Didn't sleep worth a crap last night, tossed and turned and kept waking up, afraid I was gonna over sleep and miss the shuttle to school. Any way got to school, and updated our log books, and went out to the yard, were we got our instructions on expectations and what we would be doing. We split up into 2 groups of 14 ( we have about 6 trucks we use), half of us went to drive on the road and half stayed on the yard. I got to drive first. We just went around town, when we got to a stopping place to switch drivers. When we stopped he looked at me and said "Okay, you have a little more driving experience then others don't you?" I said uh yeah. He said "Well just hang with us for this short time and you will get along just fine and be a great employee, I don't have any issues with your driving"
    Well that is humbling, but thank you.
    Back to the yard for slow speed maneuvers, MY NEMESIS the alley dock, ugh, how I loathe thee. So the trainer said "Okay I am going to WALK YOU THROUGH how to do this" WOW AMAZING Totally different set up then Titan's "Figure it out", so we got to do it 4 times, the first time with the trainer IN THE TRUCK, the 2nd time with the trainer NEXT to the truck, the 3rd time we had to do it alone. I built up confidence and asked if I could attempt to float it in. Basically once you start moving backwards you don't stop until are in the alley, instead of stopping and pulling forward and readjusting, nailed it. Instructor said "bet you can't do it again" Challenge Accepted, pulled around the parking lot set it up and nailed it AGAIN, first time. He said "well we seemed to have fixed your backing issue" Woohoo. After everyone was finished we went inside to update our logs, get any last notes from our instructors and mount up on the orange cheese wagon go head back to the hotel for the eve. All and all a GREAT Day at work.

Got back to the Hotel, hopped on the old book face and got to reconnect with an old buddy of mine, use to work Fire/Ems with what seems like 100 years ago, was great to hear and catch up with him.
    Found a new bible plan that is a study application bible plan that will take me through the whole bible in a year, really loving it.
    Galatians 1:10 NLT
    "Obviously I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God, if pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's Servant.
    In your day to day life "Whom are you trying to please, the world? I promise you, if you try to please people you will fall short of that and will not be able to please everyone. But if you try and please God then you will please him and find favor in him.

Thanks for Travelling with me
    Live
    Laugh
    Love one another..

6. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    Become a sponge over the next two weeks & try and remember at least half of it trip planning will be your Nemesis but get on here and ask for help in the Schneider thread

7. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    What a sorry ###, indecent way some of these companies bring new people on board. Conditions of hiring, such as background verification, road testing, DOT physical and drug screens should be done prior to inviting a prospect to orientation. People often quit jobs and turn their lives upside down in other ways to go cross country to a company orientation, only to find out they don’t meet the companies hiring standards.

(Pardon the interruption... Looking forward to reading more about your experience with Schneider... )

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    JOHNQPUBLIC and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  8. firemedic2816

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Schneider Day #3 Done

October 11, 2018
    10/11/2018

What an amazing day at work. Really loving my new job and new company. We switched it up from yesterday, those who drove first were on the yard, the other's went on the road. Did more "alley docking" 100% nailed it each and every time, and each and every time I felt more and more comfortable about it. Still some employees who are still struggling, and I hope they get it but they might not, and if not who knows what happens with after that. Was kinda funny because Yesterday it was raining all day but it was warm. Today it wasn't raining but was chilly, or so the other's in my class claim. It started out around 51 this am and then moved up to about 55 with a nice breeze. I was the only one out there with out a jacket or coat. Told them if I could get away with it I would be wearing shorts, however because we are on the yard they don't allow them it's cool I will obey their rules, but bet your butt I will be in them all the time in my own truck. Went to lunch, set up direct deposit and tax stuff. Then off to the road for road course. I went first again and had no issues driving, had a couple button hooks the instructor thought I would curb, but decided I didn't want to do that so just maneuvered around it instead (the other 2 ran curbs on them) Tomorrow is our final "Eval" day for week one and out of the 6 in my group the trainer said he is only 100% confident in MY Driving skills and doesn't think the other's are going to be able to pass, which probably just means more training would be my guess. So unless something clicks over night and they get 110% better I will be the only one of the 6 moving on to week two. Which is when we meet with our TE (Training Engineer) who we will spend 5 days OTR with, basically learning their qualcom macro's and different type of paper work they require for each load. Not really worried about any of that. Then week 3 will be back in "Class" to finish "soft skills" Trip planning map reading, meeting our Driver leader, and find out when and were we are going to pick up our trucks, and were we are going to park our truck on down time at home. My acct is a dedicated route so should be home every weekend, because the warehouses only take in product those days.

Anyways really glad I came to Schneider and having a great time and can't wait until I get my own truck.
    Thanks for traveling
    Live
    Laugh
    Love One Another

You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a Criminal's death on a cross
    Philippians 2:5-8
    Thanks be to God

Opus and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  9. firemedic2816

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Agreed, we lost a guy yesterday AFTER Class because something came back on his background. Had one leave Tuesday to drive from Indianapolis to Detroit because his license was wrong, the DMV didn't mark something on his CDL, so he missed a day and a half of orientation because of it

plankton Thanks this.
  10. firemedic2816

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    absolutely
    Thank You

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  11. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    There is a tab on the QC for training, pester your TE to let you work it as much as possible.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.