Schneider or Freymiller

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mighty Bananas, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mighty Bananas

Mighty Bananas Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Okay. I'm soon to get my CDL and I need to make a decision.

Schneider OTR LtL account
    or reefer with Freymiller.

Here's what I like and don't like about what I imagine about both beased on research and reading threads on this forum.

Schnieder:
    I like the idea of a starter company like SNI. In the first to last mile account I would be running full truckloads of furniture from terminal to terminal. I like that idea. I like the fact that I could utilize Scheider's extensive network termial system as good suppliments to trucks stops. Like, instead of trying to find a truck stop to park in, maybe take a shower and spend the night in a SNI terminal.

I lke their emphasis on safety. I LOVE the fact you only spend a week with a trainer in his/her truck. I like that they have so many different divisions and career paths. LTL, Intermodal, Tanker, Dedicated..etc, etc.

I'm not crazy about their low-ish pay and the fact that I will almost certainly miss out on one of their new trucks with APU's and fridges being the rookie driver that I am.

Freymiller:
    I like the idea of running coast to coast and living in a truck that has the APU's and fridges. I want to eat nothing but healthier meals cooked in the truck.
    I like the smaller company feel you get with them. I hear they respect more than micro-manage you.

However, I worry about not living up to their hard-running expectations.
    See, I have nothing against working hard, but I don't mind taking 34 hour resets and stopping to smell the roses so to speak. I like the idea of getting a hotel room, renting a car and checking out the local areas on my resets vs just running hard all the time.
    Money is great, but I must say it's not my primary motivation. I don't have a family to support and my most recent gig was minimum wage, so any trucking company is going to feel like a huge boost in income at first...lol

Anyways, let's hear what you guys think.

D.Tibbitt, pank83 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with Freymiller any day over tailgating furniture for Schneider. That division used to be Watkins-Shepard until Schneider bought the company.
    @Ssand Man works for Freymiller and will tell it like it is there.
    Freymiller has a new pay structure where all pays are taken off the Elogs automatically, so the driver doesn't have to beg and plead for pays coming to him/her.
    Ssand Man can verify this and give you the details.

5. Mighty Bananas

Mar 13, 2019
    I was keen on them but they said they didn't have any non-smoker trainers at this time.
    They told me to check back with them, but they understood if I moved on with my job search.
    If it were a week of on the road training like you get with Schneider, maybe I could tolerate a smoker.
    But 8 weeks of that?
    No f--ing way.

Maybe the opportunity will present itself soon.
    BTW what does tailgating mean in trucking parlance?

Does that mean you have a truck with a lift gate or something?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tailgating means you shove the furniture to the back of the trailer, then the customer takes it from there.
    I unloaded a load of refrigerators like that. Cardboard box with refrigerator or furniture slides easy on a wood trailer floor.
    I'd still choose Freymiller.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Sounds like he's doing line haul. Not final mile

Mighty Bananas Thanks this.
  8. Mighty Bananas

Mar 13, 2019
    Right. From what I understand I drive a full truckload of furniture to the various terminals throughout their network, which then get broken down into smaller loads that regional and local drivers then tackle.

9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Most/all dispatchers don't want you to go anywhere near a terminal when you're under load. That's when trailers get held for inspections and if safety wants to have a chat with you.
    "Only" a week isn't necessarily a good thing, even if the trainer is sitting in the passenger seat the whole time. And it isn't really a full week. They put you on a bus wherever you are in time to make it back to the terminal on Monday.

As for Freymiller, do they still have driver-facing cameras?

Blackeagle23 Thanks this.
  10. Lonestar87

Lonestar87 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Going through orientation with them right now. Haven't seen first hand yet, but training director says 2018 and older trucks have them, but 2019 and 2020 trucks coming in only have outward facing cameras.

Blackeagle23 and JC1971 Thank this.
  11. Mighty Bananas

Mar 13, 2019
    Well how about that..
    Freymiller called me out of the blue today.
    Said their waiting list has opened up.
    They have a non-smoker trainer now.

Dang...looks like I'm going Freymiller!

pank83 and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.