Schneider or Prime Tanker training

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nomikona, Aug 17, 2018.

1. nomikona

nomikona Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hello All,

new to trucking and was considering which school I should go to for CDL tanker training. I've been researching prime the most as they seem to have more recent information available. One thing I've heard is prime's tanker division is strictly east of the Mississippi and perhaps smaller than their other divisions. I'm on the West Coast, but have living arrangements on the east if it comes down to it, but would like to stay on the west. It would be nice to know the differences in training, pay, and OTR tanker routes/hubs for Schneider vs Prime?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contact each company and tell them what you want
    Prime hauls lots of wine loads out of California.

4. McCauley

McCauley Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Some info if you choose to go with Prime - When I left the company at the end of last year, there were only two OTR CDL instructors in the tanker division and both of them get their students out of Springfield (there might be more now, not sure). If neither of those trucks has a spot, which is likely, you'll probably get trained in their local training program just to get your CDL. You would then get on an OTR tanker truck afterwards for your TNT training.

With you being on the west coast, they are probably going to want to send you to the Salt Lake City terminal. If I were you, I would insist on being sent to Springfield instead. Two reasons: A. That's where you need to be to have a shot to get on one of those OTR CDL instructor tanker trucks, and B. If you do the local training program instead, you'll have a better experience in Springfield than you will in SLC.

Prime is a really good company to get your career started at. You'll make better money than you would at most of the other starter companies (although I hear Schneider tanks make good money too). I got my start there in their flatbed division and have no complaints.

A friend of mine is a recruiter there. If you want, PM me and I'll give you his info and you can request him on your app. He'll take good care of ya and won't blow sunshine up your rear.

Adolfo139 and qbertsrevenge Thank this.
  5. what2do

what2do Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2011
    What is it like coming over to Prime if you already have your CDL? Is it easy to go straight to a truck to train for the tanker division?

6. what2do

what2do Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2011
    I saw on Prime's website the starting pay is $0.51 cpm for the tanker division. It seems pretty good pay for starting out.

7. what2do

what2do Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2011
    What else does Prime haul in their tanker division? In my research, it seems they mainly haul food grade materials.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, they're a food grade tanker outfit.

9. what2do

what2do Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Okay, that's cool.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. nondriver1989

nondriver1989 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Food grade sucks because You (yourself) have to load/unload every load and prime does not pay for that. However Schneider does thats why Prime is able to pay you .51 cpm. So youre only getting paid the miles you drive.

11. Thull

Thull Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    57E17CEB-FD95-4795-88EA-AE0979B67222.jpeg

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.