Schneider or Prime?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Mikey60919, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Mikey60919

Mikey60919 Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I am a (hopefully) soon to be new CDL holder, school grad. I have pre-hire with Prime, plan is to work Northeast regional, probably tanker. I am also interested in Schneider, they seem to offer a lot of options, including part time work. I've net yet spoken to a recruiter, would like to have some feedback from some Schneider pros. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Personally, between the two, I'd go otr with Schneider. Just my personal opinion but as a new driver and being confined to the northeast, the margin for error is increased, something you don't need as a new driver. Again, just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Aamcotrans and Mikey60919 Thank this.
  4. Mikey60919

Mikey60919 Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks 900k, I live in Pennsylvania, so northeast is kind of my area. I know it can be troublesome, traffic, weather, etc. 20 years ago I would love to go over the road, but I do like to see my my Man now and again. He is a driver and only home Saturdays, off again on Sundays. What advantages do you think Schneider has vs Prime?

5. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Just from reading this forum Schneider drivers seem happier and it seems Schneider has more to offer. More opportunities, decent training, better-than-average pay for newbie tanker drivers. My son-in-law almost went with Prime but the company was a bit too intrusive for his liking.. He worked for a large Fortune 500 company before trucking and was bound by a non-disclosure contract regarding his earnings there for five years after leaving the company. Prime didn't care and wanted that information. No reason any company should demand and require your past earnings, especially from another field, in order to hire you. He figured if the company is this intrusive at the beginning, how bad would they be after he worked for them?

Troublesome traffic and narrow streets in a car is NOTHING compared to trying to navigate those same areas in a truck. The northeast is responsible for many blemishes on many new drivers' records. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mikey60919 Thanks this.
  6. rionoirble

rionoirble Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2014
    I trained at Prime and my first job was/is at Schneider, and I'd say they are pretty similar companies. If you're a company driver I think both are starting to use the eco/mini sleepers for tanker? Prime has APUs. Prime offered company drivers about 42 CPM for driving an eco in reefer, I'd imagine it's similar for tanker. I don't think Schneider pays that much in tanker.

Prime has good benefits, and they have a couple different choices/levels as well. Schneider had one option. Both have decent benefits though.

Prime company drivers are force-dispatched to NYC - Schneider are not.

Why don't you two drive team? If you both drive anyway, that's where the $$$ is ;)

Mikey60919 Thanks this.
  7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Schneider does not have mini sleepers in tanker. I make more than .42 cpm but as a newbie you won't make that. I think they are starting northeast drivers at .39 cpm. You might go to NYC, I have and it's not as big of a deal as people make it. Now I do agree with the team option if you think you can do it. Schneider does teams very well.

Mikey60919 Thanks this.
  8. snowman1

snowman1 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Clarksville, Tn
    I did a lot of investagating into Prime and ended up with Schneider. I am a southern regional driver and so far it has been great. They pay well and take good care of their drivers. As far as tankers go Schneider wants you to drive for 6 months to get the feel of the trucks and then switch to tankers.

Mikey60919 Thanks this.
  9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Nope you can start in tankers. I have a student in the truck right now that has never driven before.

Mikey60919 and snowman1 Thank this.
  10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    they dont want a driver switching divisions for 6 months. Having a line of business with a reasonable expectation of having that driver , this is fair. Just hang tight and put the request in when you time is close.

11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Want a job, try prime.

Want a career, go Pumpkin !!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.