Schneider or Service Transport?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Sly48, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    I've got conditional pre-hires from both Schneider and Service Transport. Can you drivers please help me choose?

Schneider would be regional (out of Houston) Tx, Ok, La, Al, Ar, Ok with some NM and CO. Out Sunday-Thurs. Probably older equipment. They pay per mile and extra pay for load and unload, etc..etc. and an Extra $50 per load within a 100 miles of Houston and an extra $25 for 101-200 miles from Houston. Probably only an average of $40-$50K a year.

Service Transport runs would be all 48, but I don't know how that can be if they say out and back to Houston every 4-5 days and short runs (LA,OK,AR back same day)? They are out loaded and back empty and they pay is % based. They have new (2012-2015) equipment with automatics. Average yearly pay is advertises $50-$65K per year..

I'm leaning towards Service Transport.......can y'all help me out with some feedback please!!

Thanks,
    Sly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    If your runs are shorter you'll make more on percentage because you can do more loads in a given time. If the loads are longer then mileage is better. I prefer percentage pay because as rates go up so does your pay. With mileage no matter the rate your still make the same.

4. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks Matt!!

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  5. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    schneider simply because there will be lots more women around at the terminals whether office gals or female drivers.

6. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Keep me on the road and out of TS's and Terminals!! haha!!

7. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    I've heard that women line the roads that lead to Schneider terminals, waving their handkerchiefs and holding out boxes of chocolate for drivers.

8. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    yeah that is exactly what i heard except they only wave at/flag down the drivers in the s trucks that do not have external visors on the truck,hopping on the running boards as the truck cruises by at their top speed of 60.THOSE gals are worth the stop.almost makes me desire to drive for schneider and pilot one of those visor-less 60 mph,elogged out trucks.

9. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Congrats on your new career...first piece of advice,,those wages they advertise ? Just cut that in half for a more realistic wage,,never ever believe a recruiter. He is paid the minute you sign into Orientation. No one in operations has ever heard of him,,,lol good luck..anyone disagree jump in...
    you have to pay your dues in this field...but I bet you can do it !!

Sly48 and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  10. rz14nj

rz14nj Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    i finished my training with snbc in september and have been on my own since then. this is my first trucking job and i love it here so far. only major complaint is the truck they gave me. a columbia that runs good mechanically but it was EXTREMELY dirty. whoever had this thing before me was a chain smoker and a complete slob and they made no attempt to clean it at all before assigning it to me. i was in houston last week and saw all the new guys get cascadias though, so maybe you will get lucky and won't have to deal with some of their older junk.

Skydivedavec and Sly48 Thank this.
  11. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks for the reply Oldman!!
    I'm not new to driving, I've just been out of trucking for about 16 months and want to go from reefer to tanker. I'm aware not to believe the recruiters...haha!! and all important stuff get in writing and that still does not always hold up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.