Schneider Paid CDL Training - Ohio

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by SingingWolf, Sep 15, 2016.

1. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    So I've considered getting my CDL and doing OTR for nearly a decade now but have never gotten around to pulling the trigger. Lately I've been looking at Schneider's Paid CDL program (With 1 year contract out of Wintersville) as an opportunity to get my foot in the door and my rear end on the road. I've been chugging along in the research department for a week or so, this time around, and have found many things that greatly appeal to me and many that do not.

Some of the problems that I've been running into is on a communication level. I was told today that only a recruiter can give me the information that I'm seeking but the only way to talk to a recruiter is in a phone interview AFTER I apply. O.K. Fine......ish. In order for me to apply I have to move to within a 75 mile. radius of Wintersville (Currently 108 ). or within 125 of Washington CH (228 ). So in order to talk to the person that can perhaps supply me with the information I'm looking for before making a, very large life changing, decision I have to make a large and life changing move.........Kinda feels like they aren't really looking to bring people in.

What information I have been able to obtain from the "recruiting assistants" is that it is a Walmart Account, in slip seats, typically averaging 1800 to 2000 mi / week, within a 200 mile radius of Wintersville, unknown cpm, unknown whether live loads or drop and hook, unknown touch less, and unknown detention time. She also couldn't tell me if I would be able to transfer from the Walmart account after 6 months to OTR and said I would have to talk to my Dbl about that.

I kinda lost all faith when I asked her if the trucks came with a CB or CB connections and antennas and she didn't know what a CB was!

Has anyone here gone through this program and/or account and can you throw me a bone on how things actually run? So far Schneider seems to be my best be to get where I want to be (o/o choice either at Schneider or somewhere like LandStar)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Gotta start somewhere. Many join the military went to war and used the G.I. Bill to pay for CDL school. If you don't have money for CDL school Schneiders willing to pay and you give them a little back I don't see what the problem is. I would say you're blessed.

4. milehunter43

milehunter43 Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ohio
    I'm not sure that I would move for that account lol. Maybe find somebody who lives within the radius and "move in" with them. I have done a couple of those loads and the people at the store unload you quickly, not much downtime. However the back roads in the area of Wintersville/Western PA aren't going to allow you to move very quickly. Seems like it's mainly evening time work. I'm not sure how good the pay is, I'll let Schweiss chime in on that.

The trucks do have CB connections.

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  5. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Applying isn't an issue. It doesn't cost anything. And you can always turn it down. I just started 3 months ago on a regional position. I can complain about a lot. But, I'm not unhappy. Overall, it's a good start up company and has IC Choice to move on to. I agree with finding a "roommate" agreement if you can. You're too close to the limit IMO.

6. Collosus76

Collosus76 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016
    I applied to 3 different positions before accepting one. Schneider was more than happy to hire me everytime. I've been with them over 2 months now in a regional intermodal position and so far not bad.

I used to be an Operations Manager of a small manufacturing company. So that side of me does get a bit frustrated when dealing with some of the DBLs. Especially when trip planning and I inform them a day in advance there will be an issue with an appointment and it falls in deaf ears.

But overall as a place starting out I have been pretty satisfied.

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  7. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    I believe this is company wide. I have the same issues. If you can deal with this, Schneider is a cake walk elsewhere.

Side note, I've found out its less the DBLs and more the planners. Not diminishing that the DBLs still have many issues too.

Collosus76 Thanks this.
  8. Collosus76

Collosus76 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Yeah. Definitely the planners. Who are you to mess with my carefully laid out plans?

Your appointment is at 1600 with an average of 144 minutes load time. But you'll be out of hours at 1800...you can do it!

9. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    Ha! My yesterday and today were crazy. I picked up a load going 520 miles 2 nights ago. 11 miles later in parked for the night. Also as a preassignment it showed 429 miles (complained about that too!!!). Live unload appt at 1500. I luckily made it. Then next preassignment is 40 miles away D&H. I have 1.5 hours on my clock left. Again, 1500 appt. 480 miles away. I get there with 50 min left. Had 2 hours on my 14 though. They say it's live load. Ugh. I drop the trailer for them to load. But they tell me I can't get back in till 6am. It'll be interesting. Every time I've told them to reschedule I get there and they said they never called. So I wait lol. Could be worse though.

Collosus76 Thanks this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Just fill out an app online and someone will call you to explain it and set up a phone interview if you are interested. The phone interview is no big deal, they just go over your app with you. If they are interested in having you work for them they will give you a conditional pre-hire. During the phone interview they will check your DMV record.

I just went through the initial hiring process with them (not going to their school) and was very impressed.
    I ended up accepting the job offer and was sent an email detailing all pay and benefits.

One thing I'll say about them is that they never left me waiting for a call and the phone interview happened at the exact minute they said it would.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.