schneider question

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by jtaran06, Dec 23, 2007.

1. bigike

bigike Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2007
    atlanta,ga
    how long is the training? is it paid? do we pay for train fare to TXand LA?..thanks for answering our questions..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lild1524

lild1524 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Livingston, La
    I'm not sure of your husbands situation but I had no previous experience driving trucks, so I also have to get my cdl. For me in was 2 weeks in Dallas, no pay. Then 2 days in Reserve and the paid like 130.00 for that weekend, from that point on it was like 300.00 a week until you get into your own truck. They will provide the transportation to and from. Hope this helps.

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well it depends on what you are getting trained for. I think that the tanker haulers get more training.

Either way, regular van training (most of Schneiderdom) takes 2 weeks from start to finish. A couple of days in the classroom, the rest is classroom/truck/simulators.

This is what happened to me, just for a reference:
    *Oct 5th, started class
    *finished on the 19th, stayed in Fontana overnight, then took a greyhound to CO for OTR training where we stayed for the weekend, and then met up with driver of the ded route.
    *Drove on the route for 4 days and on Friday the 26th, I finished and was put in a rental car to go home for the weekend.
    *on Monday, I went to Denver where I turned in rental car and did my SQT, on Monday and then Tuesday (maybe wednesday too).
    *was sent home and given a company car, and then came back the next week where we took a truck up to the WY border and we did my CDL test.
    *passed test and went back to Denver where I met up with the team who brings me my freight and I actually caught a ride with them up to where I live where we handed off the trailer / freight to the guy who was filling in on my route. I then drove with him for three days to get used to the route and then on the next tuesday started on my own.

The say that OTR could last 1-3 weeks (thats what the recruiter said). In class, they said it could be UP to two weeks. Mine was 4 days. A fellow classmate who ended up with me at the same time with the same trainer took about two weeks. The training pay I think is 350/week. but make sure you get your regular pay after you are on your own as I heard a bunch of cases where you needed to call the DBL and get it straigtened out.

During classroom training, no training pay at all. you only start to get paid when you are training OTR.

No train, you ride da bus. And may God be with you if you do that.

5. angel's eye

angel's eye Bobtail Member

May 8, 2008
    York, SC
    The best thing is to ask maintenance because different trucks allow different ratings. But my husband has a satelite radio, two cell phone chargers, mini oven, coleman electric cooler, and sometimes even is sandwich maker going all at one time. Just check with maint. They will know better than anyone.
    Later,
    Angel's Eye

6. newroady

newroady Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2007
    columbia sc
    Hello, I live in sc too. Would you know anybody that wants to go to training as a team driver? SNI said they would accept me if I have some one to team with out of sc? They said they are hiring teams out of sc. Thanks

7. ziggystyles

That doesnt make sense. They have some sort of matching program that will set you up with a team member while you are at school. I never heard of someone who wants to be in a team needing to have a team already formed before training. What if the other person bombs the training?

8. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    About 2-3 weeks ago I called Sni about getting on in Fontana, CA. They told we they were only taking students who would agree to drive team. They told me they would find a match.

9. MrZero

MrZero Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's what they told me today. I have a phone interview on August 6th. I think I'd rather team because from what I've read, teams get more consistent miles. True or not true?

10. ziggystyles

Not sure if consistent is the right word; however teams DO get more miles as all they do is run...run run run run run. Sleep, drive..etc. They do get more miles mainly because its two people in one truck, so the truck is always moving. Keep in mind that teaming means you are in something the size of a closet for the entire time out with another person.

11. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ

Team driving, to me, basicly stinks to high heaven, (I've done it once with a friend, never again), other wise I would have went to SNI, Fontana, back when I wrote about it. The only time I intend to team is when I have too, thats when I go out to train.

Team driving might be ok with a wife or girlfriend. Otherwise, "forget it". :biggrin_2554: :biggrin_25526:

If your not trapped in that #$%^ whole, L.A., you may want to ask them were you would have to move to to get on as a solo driver. I would like to know myself.

I hope things go well for ya at the interview. Look forward to hearing what it was like.

PS. You may want to re-think team drive'n. Maybe ask someone what it's like, although Z said it all.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.