schneider question

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by jtaran06, Dec 23, 2007.

1. MrZero

MrZero Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I appreciate the input. I'll look into the teaming issue. BTW I'm in. I start training on 09/06 in Fontana.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mannmk7

mannmk7 Medium Load Member

May 1, 2008
    AZ

Your going with SNI, thats a good chioce even if you have to team drive. Did SNI tell you they want you to team drive out of Fontana? Did you agree? What about if you relocate to another SNI area will you still have to drive team?

I was going to go back to CA sign up with them there, do their dance then try to relocate.

Any way have fun. It'll be a new adventure. :yes2557:

4. razorbacker

razorbacker Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Van Buren, Ar
    Am I understanding you correctly? You went from no driving experience and no cdl to being alone in your own truck in about 3 weeks?

That type of timeframe would be great. The idea of being stuck in a truck with a trainer for the 4-8 weeks most training companies seem to require just does not appeal to me.

How regular is your time at home on the dedicated route? Also, how far away do you live from the route? Thanks....

5. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Correct. Schneider is fairly quick about that stuff. I started I think on a Saturday morning and finished two weeks later on a Friday. I stayed at a hotel with another classmate in Fontana overnight, and then took a bus up to CO where we stayed for another day or so until a Monday night. I myself was finished with OTR training on that run after four nights. However, it was about another week or two before I was able to get my CDL. I was sent home after training via a rental car...then drove down to Denver and met everyone...did some of their final testing over two days, went home and scheduled a CDL test which was about a week out or whatever, and then came back, stayed overnight. Took a truck the next morn, passed the test...went back to Denver...then rode with a truck back home.

So I dunno...it was probably more like 4-5 weeks when all was said and done. From day 1 to the time I was done with OTR training, it was 3 weeks. Then it took a while for final testing and the CDL test.

Well in my particular account and run...Im home daily. If I meet them to swap loads at 5 or so...I can be home around 2:30-3pm. My route starts in the town I live in actually. The truck is parked about a mile from my apartment. My first stop is about 1.5 hours away, and the end of my route is about 3.5 hours from the house and I just basically deadhead home.

However, keep in mind that my route is rare...in terms of what I do. Many dedicated accounts...you can criss cross all over the place and not have a set run. My run is set in stone for the most part. There have been times where I have delivered at other stops as well, but that is very rare:
    *the team bringing me my freight delivers to the stops in my town, but once they broke down outside of town and I picked up their freight and did their stops for them.

razorbacker Thanks this.
  6. MrZero

MrZero Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    :biggrin_25515::biggrin_25525::biggrin_25510::biggrin_25526::yes2557:

7. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    I was trying to get with SNI but they told me they are only training team drivers out of Fontana. I have to do a dance as it is to get with them from AZ. I have to go to my friends house use his address, get a CA lic and permit. Then apply with SNI and go through the training. Can you give me an idea as to how to get out of the team driving? Can I train at Fontana then relocate to were they will use me solo? Or will they hold me to team driving? After I get out of my AZ house I would be basiclly free to go anywhere.

Thanks.

8. ziggystyles

Well hmm, to be honest, Im not sure. I think you are basically asking if there is a way to get hired onto SNI without the team aspect. I dont know. All I hear when I hear commercials from them on XM radio is how they are hiring experienced drivers. I don't know if they are training right now, or even how much they are training at all. With the way the economy is and such, they might be slowing down. I know the OC at Fontana is pretty much designed for training new drivers (simulators, 3 classrooms, large empty hard to monkey around in...etc). Did they specifically say that they weren't hiring any new inexperienced drivers?

Id say to use that friends address, take a day or whatever and go to CA to take the permit test and get it...apply and see what happens.

You can relocate, but I think its after 90 days in their current run. I dont understand why they arent hiring out of AZ, especially Phoenix.

According to their openings PDF, they are hiring for Sears and Wal Mart dedicated runs out of Fontana. I know for a fact that the WM is new...not sure how good of a position it is.

9. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    I have no driving experiance. I called SNI in May they said they would take me on but they only were taking on team drivers. I took that to mean that I would need to agree to be a team driver. The rep told that there were other areas that they were hiring that were solo, but in Fontana they were only using teams.

It's good to hear someone say things are slowing down enough to effect driver hiring. Since I signed up hear on May 1st that what is was attemting to find out. I seem as if people didn't want to 'go there.'

On the subject of of SNI hiring in AZ. If one goes to the SNI website and checks their hiring area for AZ it shows they don't hire in the area. When I talked with the rep she said we don't hire in the AZ area. This is when I asked if I move to Riverside would they take me in training, she said yes but we only do team hiriing out of Fontana.

Thanks

:biggrin_25520:

Update: Last night I went to the SNI and they're now doing some hiring in AZ. I'll call to find out more.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  10. ziggystyles

That could be the case now...I just know that when I was there last Oct, they were training solos and had a class graduating every Friday. However, at that same time, they mentioned teaming and gave us a choice / chance to sign up as a team (I think the other driver would be someone with experience...not sure...maybe they would combine two newbies). I think they try to match you as best they can through some sort of questionarre thing.

I generally don't hear much bad about Schneider. When Im on the road, I've gotten flak a couple of times over the radio...hence my turning the radio off...but its mostly from Owner Ops in Pete Bricks that think they are doing the world a favor by sucking up all the fuel.

Well hmm that is strange to hear. I would have been willing to bet they had drivers in Phoenix for sure. Should have freight going there at least, hmm.
    Well either way, you could team and if it doesnt work out, after however many days I mentioned before, you could switch to another board or something. I mean, I don't think they are going to can you if you decide teaming isnt right for you...dont think they would make you sign something saying youd stay as a team for x time frame either. who knows

11. mannmk7

May 1, 2008
    AZ
    Zigg,

Thanks I may give it a shot because of your helpful info. I would rater train with them and get the good training and get it over with, than drive for some outfit that pretends to train you when all their really doing is using you as a team driver. :biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.