Schneider testing out apu's

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by aramil248, Aug 1, 2017.

1. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    The resale value of the truck won't offset the added cost to a new truck being purchased with a new APU installed. They'll be luck if they can recoup 25% of the cost of the unit. They still be losing money. I thinkn if they were to install them, I think we'd be seeing them keeping trucks a few years longer. I honestly dont see how they would keep them running. Their mechanics are struggling enough to keep the fleet running down the road

But can you imagine the commission of the salesman that lands that account?!

"Hey, Boss! I just landed Schneider. I'm retired"

gentleroger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    if big pumpkin is TESTING technology known for 30 years to sip 2 gallons of fuel and keep engines warm, drivers happy, batteries fed and make hot water if necessary and equipped.... then pumpkin is a little bit late past it's bedtime at midnight I would think. /snarky

gentleroger and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes, our upper management definitely needs to be given a snack and sent to bed while the grownups get the job done.

This is our 2nd (at least) test. Stu (guy on the left) has been arguing for them for years, but Stu is an acolyte of Wayne Lubner so he actually cares about drivers. Problem is that the shops are kept on a shoestring in terms of personnel, drivers dont maintain them (have to check the oil every now and again), and they dont add much to resale as a majority of the trucks are sold to central/south America and Africa.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    and i thought when i drove for crst that they was far behind everyone else

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You wont believe where Pumpkin was back in the 80's Or even further back.

Ive some stories. I'll share one.

A friend of mine was a little bit of a wanderer, a mountain man. A good man. I gave him a taste of trucking one week in our rig on a short load. He liked it. Joined.. yep Pumpkin. Figures he's well on his way. What stories. Including digging entire 18 wheeler out from a 50 foot drift in a winter blizzard that did not quit for a week near home.

Anyhow.

Pumpkin gave him a hard time over a very minor conflict appointments with a General Mills Cereal Account near Harrisburg roughly as the crow flies. It's such a common conflict with angry dispatcher. he quit.

A few days later his cabover engine tractor suffered a complete and total frame failure on the highway coming out of PA. It would over turn and completely destroy itself down to the engine block and frame rails possibly killing the man in it.

You wonder about those things in life. When the good lord sees fit to move you along to something else prior to a lethal problem when you are not yet done doing what you aint done yet in life....

Yea I'll pick on the pumpkin. But Im also very catholic when it comes to picking on companies that are so big, over bilt with 15000 trucks crying for attention and hand holding unable to do anything at the high corporate level anytime soon. He he he.

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Now, now, our high corporate level does lots of things. Just not necessarily the things I want them to do. Quite often things that make me ask "are those guys high up the organizational chart or just high?"

91B20H8, TennMan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Sni profits would double if they trimmed the fat in GB and held CS accountable.

scythe08, x1Heavy, drvrtech77 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I can't see that ever happening as long as lofgren's in charge

TennMan Thanks this.
  10. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Sure you can idle.....as long as you aren't in Pennsylvania or a Walmart parking lot. And I'm sure there are plenty of other places that won't let you idle.

My opinion is that diesel APUs are the way to go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.