Schneider training March 15th, Carlisle PA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JasonTrucker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. JasonTrucker

JasonTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Hello All,

well first day of training is over, wow! It was a long day and I'm exhausted.

Starts off with a LOT of paperwork to sign and hand in, this was done by a guy named Mike.

After this me and the other bulk guy went to training with Carl (instructor) for bulk training. He wasn't in the best mood cause he should of had the day off, so he seemed a little brash and rude. He really drilled how dangerous the hazardous materials are and showed us videos of drivers who have been burned by various haz. liquids because they did not wear their protective suites. Only 2 guys (me and ramone) are doing bulk, the entire rest of the class is doing Van. Me and the bulk guy looked at eachother and said what the hell did we get ourselves into, the class for Van drivers seemed much more laid back. We've decided to stick with it, I really have no choice, no van in NJ available.

After the movies of drivers whose faces melted from haz. liquids, we went to the yard to climb ontop of the tanker and walk the catwalk. Let me tell you it's a lot higher then it looks and you certainly feel the wind.

We also had to take a physical test which was a breeze and conducted by a very attractive girl might I add, that'll get the blood pressure up.

My nerves have settled some in that I'm starting to bond with 2 fellow classmates. This certainly is a shock to my system, I've been used to the office environment for years now, the personalities and styles are completeley different, feels very strange at first and on several occassions I had this feeling of what am I doing here, culture shock. I see this as an adventure though.

Till next time . . .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigD

BigD Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2006
    GA, USA
    You'll find that is a wise choice as you go on. You could get a good roomate or a bad one. It is hard to tell. But if you get a bad one it can be a big pain in the ###. When I went a lot of times I would hear soap opera type stories about fights between room mates. One guy would go out partying, another I guess never cleaned up, booze in the rooms, one guy wanted his wife to also stay int he room, etc. I had a good room mate but even so there still are little annoyances liek aving to get up earlier or the other guy wants to watch tv while you want to sleep. Good call.

4. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    I considered driving for them. However, after applying I was told that since some wonderful woman hit my personal truck in the rear less than 3yrs prior, I didn't qualify to work for Schneider. Talk about just plain wrong.:biggrin_2552: Their point was that I was ticketed after she hit me(true). My point was that I beat that ticket in court(even w/o an attorney), meaning it was deemed null and void by the court and therefore, I was not found guilty of wrongdoing. They wouldn't budge. The Trooper who wrote the ticket told me to fight it and how to win.

Overall, I still feel it isn't a particularly bad company, but it does have a bad policy. Good luck!

5. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    It certainly has payed off, some of these guys are just plain shady.

6. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Sorry to hear that man. They are a big company and that stuff does happen. Keep trying man.

7. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Well as I learned here, about 1/3 will not make it through training. I've seen a few guys go already. The classwork is open book and note so its real easy. Tomorrow start on the simulators.

My only problem is this Van guy who keeps making fun of me cause I"m in Bulk, guy is a complete idiot. Keeps saying your gonna get sprayed with hazardous material and your face is going to melt or blah blah Van is so much better. Wish he'd shut up.

8. Hitman

Hitman Mr. Gamer

Sep 5, 2006
    Tioga, PA
    Don't let that guy get to you Jason, just don't pay any attention to him. Shut him out and focus. He might not last with an attitude like that. Hope you do well with the "big orange".

9. OhioTruckin

OhioTruckin Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey, Jason. Keep it up with these posts. I'm going to try and get into Schneider's bulk division once I get my CDL, so all your information is appreciated and helpful to me.

10. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Thanks, I blocked him out today and avoided him and my day went much better. Some people are real negative here and I try to stay away from them, real downers.

11. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Things got better today, I avoided that Jerk who keeps teasing me about being bulk and my jersey accent, he seemed to get the point. The key is to not engage him.

Also, we started on simulators today. We we're taught how to double clutch and 'bump and run'. The simulators we're cool and it was helpful, the guy teaching was Jim and he was the first instructor that I felt actually wanted us to learn, nice guy. The other guys are ok, but always seem very impatient with students, like you have to hesitate to ask a question.

After simulator we we're taken to the yard, where we got to see a live demo of coupling and uncoupling, we also got to learn all the controls and finally got to see the inside of truck. After all this classwork, the interactive stuff was more fun and the time went faster.

Best advice is to avoid the negative people like a plague, I've seen many who just want to keep bashing this process and are miserable. If you stick with the good people it will be more fun, to me this feels like a long class trip.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.