Schneider training March 15th, Carlisle PA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JasonTrucker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. greentrucker

greentrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    jasontrucker-

did you go into training already having your cdl? are the people that already have their cdls mixed into the non cdl training classes? Im just asking because im strongly thinking of going to schneider to get my class a. I went to new england tractor trailer to get my class b, but after 2 months and no good job offers i want to go otr. please keep your posts going about your training.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TankerYanker

TankerYanker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Covington, La
    Hello everyone. Looks like everything is a go for SNI Training. I'm leaving on Thursday from La, headed to Dallas for Training. I scheduled to make it up there around 550 in the AM Friday. Excited and Nervous. I will try to post an keep you all updated. Thanks for all of the valuable information. This site has truly been a huge help for this newbie.
    Thanks Guys/Gals:biggrin_255:

4. BigDaddyJollyRob

BigDaddyJollyRob <strong>"El Oso"</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    have you looked into Safety Kleen? They pay $15hr and work 55 hrs a week. I turned them down because I was already making $15hr before I got my class A and driving straight truck wont count as experience for tractor trailer. Best Of Luck in getting your Class A.

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

Jason you're going to run into jerks like this everywhere. Just remember to yourself that you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. People that seem to know everything there is to know really don't know much. And the great thing about it is the people that count find out real soon too.

I think you'll getting into a profession that will be in demand. As long as you keep you record clean the you as a driver will be in demand to.

You'll always have to remeber what's behind you. You'll need to use more defensive driving habits than you ever thought you have. I recommend the Smith System but if you can't go through that training then just take SNI's training and go over and over what they teach you. I used my own system and that was to drive better the next day than the day before. I would go off by myself and re-think the day and try to figure out what I could have done better. I even took notes. But you've got to make sure that no one see's what your doing. IOW's you don't want to stop the training to write something down. Even a tape recorder would be great. I've been driving since the 70's and I still have new things to learn. Ask questions. The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

As time goes by you'll become more relaxed. That's what you want to be a relaxed driver. But not so relaxed that you become complacent. You're a new driver gaining experience and you want that experience to be clean and worth your time. You should document everything for your own personal reference. In the service we called these wheel books. It doesn't take anytime at all to write a quick few notes on making a load right or whatever. Also a huge list of personal contacts may come in handy sometime.

Those movies you're watching are what we call shock movies. Some places don't use them. But there is one movie that I wish I could show every driver and it's called the "Charlie Morecraft Story". It's just him standing there for 20min telling his story on what happened to him and how management forced him to do some work he knew was unsafe.

Good luck to you. My advice is you should become a sponge. Ask questions and write the answers down. Keep you eyes and ears open and study at night. If you have a question when you're studying write that down too. Keep us all posted.

6. jasonb

jasonb Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    SE PA
    Good luck to all you newbies. I went through Roehl's RDTC in Nov/Dec with some other members of this board. The training was great, but the EVO I got me. 10 days in the truck with someone else, was just too close too long. I think even if it had been one of my RDTC buddies it would have been too much.
    It is tough getting started even after you have the cdl.
    Good luck to you all, and if you get around Reading PA and need a break for a few hours I would be happy to have a lunch or dinner with another board member.

respects,
    Dennis in se pa

7. JasonTrucker

JasonTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    no cdl = 14 days of training for van, 16 days for bulk
    cdle = 7 days training, 9 days for bulk

I have no cdl so will be here for the 16 , good luck!

8. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, I truly appreciate it. This training is not easy, it's overwhelming at times and these words are just with this newbie needed :biggrin_25514:

9. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    ok folks, well simulator was yesterday, but today was ACTUAL truck driving. Once again, it is a very long day. Me and the other bulk guy got paired up with a driver instructor, named glen.

I got to try my double clutching out for real now and did a decent job at that. The truck was actually easier then the simulator.

In the afternoon we hooked it up to a tanker, that was a different story, i had a tough time keeping track of everything, ie the road in front of me, shifting properly, and my tandem wheels in the mirrors. System overload ! God, they move you fast here, tomorrow we're going on public roads. You truck drivers make this look so easy, but its not !:biggrin_25514:

I had a difficult time making the tandem wheels go where I wanted them to. They move at different rates around those turns. Hopefully after a good nights rest I'll show improvements tomorrow on turning corners with the tanker. Just too much to keep track of today, time for bed.

10. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    My bro is working there. Will be there 1 yr April teenth and hes going to tell em to cram it. They won't let u get home when u need it. Always an excuse for going to Laredo -Anaheim and whereever its snowing the worst.He says it starts out ok but the dispatch is messed up and on dope.

11. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Good luck! hope to see you on the roads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.