Schneider

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TankerYanker36, Mar 31, 2022.

1. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    For me I use an empty coolant can to place under the 5th wheel plate to force it the opposite way then drop air bags and move forward and trailer pops right back over.

Quick fix but at Schneider it was something that should never need to be done if you did your back their way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    When you back up near the trailer and get out to check and make sure the trailer skid plate is lower than the fifth wheel hinge before you back under it, how do you high hook?

I know it sounds like I'm being a smart ###, but I can't even imagine backing under a trailer without getting out first and assessing things. Keep in mind, I don't know everything either.

4. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I wish you good fortune ahead. It's just a glitch. Time to call on @Chinatown he's the job guru.

Chinatown, Woodys and TankerYanker36 Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Schneider has a stick up their butt about high hooking…….. someone lost a trailer and killed some one and they got sued over it……..

I’ve sent the pin over the fifth wheel a couple of times in 40 years ….. never any damage and got the pin back behind the fifth wheel by myself…….

alds and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. TankerYanker36

TankerYanker36 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Actually guys I just remembered right now. It just came to my head as I kept running it back.
    It actually wasn't high hooking, it was that the chassis was too LOW. I remember saying to my self "I hope it's high enough to catch". So then I cranked the landing gear up just a little together it higher, and ofcorse the landing gear handle sucked. So I tried to settle with the chasis still looking too low but at a point where I still might be able to lift it up. Sucks that it's just coming to my head now.

Does that make more sense? As far as the king pin getting caught inside of the landing gear? Because I do remember backing into it, I remember the chasis moving to line up with the tractor as if the kingpin was in line for the hook. Then next thing I remember is it wouldn't connect.

So if anyone could tell me what they think, I'd accept it. If it's impossible that the chasis was too low, then it means I cranked the landing gear too much and actually did high hook.

Either way nothing else came after that except the bent release arm. No trailer drops or anything.

7. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Ohh ok I understand. Never knew that. Makes sense.

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You didn't "high hook", you "side hooked ", which amounts to the same thing. It sounds like when you went back the first time, you weren't aligned and the king pin went to the drivers side of the 5th wheel. The way you avoid this is when you were checking your height, step underneath and make a line with the center hole on the frame and the center of the locking jaws. The kingpin should be on that line. I've lost track of the number of guys I've had who think they're lined up while the truck is at a 15 degree angle to the trailer. It doesn't look like much when you're 5th wheel is still in front of the trailer, but you will miss the kingpin.

The incidents aren't the big problem. You not reporting them is. Schneider will work with you on most things, unless they feel you aren't being honest.

91B20H8, Opus, LtlAnonymous and 4 others Thank this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Yeah, Don almost lost the company on that one.

TankerYanker36 Thanks this.
  10. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    Copy! Totally makes sense now. Thank you.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  11. TankerYanker36

Mar 19, 2014
    And also, about getting out and making sure it's lined up by going under the 5th wheel before connecting. You're absolutely right on that. My negligence. Got too comfortable and too lazy to get out and check. I figured It was lined up and I would get it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.