School is in session

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Gin86, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Yep I've been following your thread! Straight backing I have down pat. It's just setting up for offset is messing me up once you can't see anything in the mirrors. I'll try what you suggested about watching for the middle V in the landing gear. Were you told to count to 5 while turning? I think that's what's throwing me off so much. Everyone counts different. I haven't learned alley dock yet, but I'm expecting too on Monday.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don’t count. I just crank it, go to the gear or in the daycab til the corner of the trailer is halfway through the back window, the crank the other way, I slow down and take a look when the truck is straight then continue the turn and watch the trailer all the way in. Blind side I’ll use the convex to get an idea then straighten it out and pull up if needed.

Gin86 Thanks this.
  4. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Alright. Once the trailer is straight with the cab, do you then start to work it into the lane?

5. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Pretty much. At that point you can look to see if you are lined up right. If you are, then keep going on the wheel and curl it in

Gin86 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Remember, you're driving the trailer; what's the trailer doing. When you turn the steering wheel, what's that making the trailer wheels do?

Dan.S and Gin86 Thank this.
  7. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Ok thanks for the advice. I'll be trying it out Monday for sure.

8. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Go where I want it too! I just need to remember the direction to turn sometimes still.

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    When you set up for the offset you don’t need to see the parking space just yet. At certain steps you’ll be looking for your reference cone, but when you are turning, focus on the landing gear. Follow the directions exactly and it will work for you. The point is to learn how the tractor manipulates the trailer. While doing the steps, I spent time trying to visualize how the tractor-trailer were interacting with each other.

One thing took me a couple days to figure out was the importance of lining your tractor up straight with the trailer (getting behind it). It gives you a good idea about where you are at and what you need to do next.

10. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    I've got the offset backing down pretty well now. I'm to the point of fine tuning it and making sure I'm lined up properly with the cone on the driver side. I'm still having issues with my alley dock though. Somewhere along the way I'm backing up a bit too far, so when I'm backing the cab straight to make the trailer turn in the lane it's overshooting it.

We were told we'll be in the yard all day tomorrow to work on all that and hopefully pre trip inspections. We test out next Thursday.

11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I don't know if I could pass if I had to be put through a school now.
    I never went to one... learned on my own and from old hands.
    Just reading descriptions from what students put down, I'm saying to myself... "Wtf?? I've never even heard of an "alley dock" or "offset backing". "

I know it's the tech terms given to each situation so it can be taught, but I just see the hole and put the trailer in it.
    It's the same end game, I guess.

Makes me feel old.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.