School only does 20 hours

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SandyEggo518, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    In San Diego; probably place you with Robertson's Ready Mix.
    Robertson's has their own cdl training program.
    ~
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Make it easy on yourself and go with Swift Refrigerated in Fontana.
    ~
    Swift Refrigerated – Sign On for the Trucking Career of a ...
    Swift Refrigerated – Sign On for the Trucking Career of a Lifetime with Swift Refrigerated
    WHY DRIVE FOR SWIFT REFRIGERATED? $3,000 Experienced OTR Transition Bonus ... Large Retail Customer Base. OTR, Regional and Dedicated Lanes. Academy Opportunities – Earn your CDL in as little as 3 weeks. REEFER TERMINAL NETWORK. TOP OF THE LINE EQUIPMENT. POSITIONS AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY!
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Sure, Cat. And maybe if its your daughter or your son or one of you're grandchildren riding next to that guy with 20 hours of training, you'll be just fine with it.
    You guys are so full of crap sometimes.

12 ga, InTooDeep and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Maybe they could just cram and get it done in a 24 hr period..Think of all the 1099 positions that they could fill

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Those type of schools are for drivers with experience but no license. Those drivers are already doing the job, but without a license.

7. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Not even that much. Place i got my CDL required 30 hours for written stuff in addition to 2 8 hour lectures from OODIA and DoT guys each. And thats not counting the 100 hours of driving with 40 of those at night they required to pass you. Best 5k i ever spent.

12 ga, REO6205 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    At my driving school, We started on a Saturday and Sunday with classroom stuff. Videos, safety logging etc. On Monday we went down and took the tests and got our permits, then to get drugs tested, then back to classroom. Tuesday we started driving on a dirt track to learn to shift. Round and round never getting out of low range.After lunch, those of us that could shift without any problems went to the backing pad. Straight line and serpentine backing. Alley dock, parallel parking. Wednesday through the following Tuesday, including the weekend, were driving on the road combined with more backing.Road driving was some Interstate and a lot of 2 lanes. On the next day, Wednesday, a week and a day after I starting the driving course on that shifting track, I took and passed my state CDL tests and got my CDL. The next day we were on a bus to the corporate HQ where we did orientation on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon they assigned my truck, a KW T800, (until this all my training had been in a cabover) and Thursday was dispatched to bobtail from Indiana to a place near Philly to pick up the trailer for my first load, a run to D&H in Houston. So the total class including the classroom to the end of the day I got my license was a little less than 100 hours. Was I really ready to be on my own that quick? Probably not but I asked a lot of questions of other drivers and knew pretty quick what was B.S. and what wasn't. The old hands would go out of their way back then to help a newbie that wanted to learn. And I never had an accident in 29+ years until I retired.
    A guy in my class that became a good friend had an accident his first day out. Ran into a city cop in Illinois somewhere.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Many people often forget there's a 100 other trucking jobs other than OTR. I don't know what kind of work the OP is looking for but In my neck of the woods someone with a CDL in hand and clean driving record would have absolutely no problem getting a driving job locally where they could refine their skills.

10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Some people have different goals !

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Obviously.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.