Searching for Loads on LoadBoards

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by trucking.shine, Feb 21, 2018.

1. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Hi everyone,

The Spot Market has been up lately, and that's great because it's easier to find loads that cover my costs. Obviously, I always want to get the highest paying load, so that my profits increase as much as I can (everyone wants that!). But sometimes to get the best load, I find myself going through so many loads and calling so many Brokers.
    Speaking only about Load Boards, I have two questions for your guys:
    1) What strategy do you use to try and find the best load out of the hundreds of posts in each LoadBoard?
    2) Is there a way to make this search easier or is just the way it is?
    I know is part of the dispatching team always to be searching for the best paying load, but I was just wondering if you consider that this process could improve in some way. Or if you how to do it, tell me! :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The way you do it is the way I do it.
    I haven't found the magic pill or crystal ball.
    Find direct customers to haul for. Cold call.

Good luck.

4. trucking.shine

Jun 19, 2017
    @xsetra so if I'm sticking with LoadBoards, the way to go is calling as many as you can and negotiate... bummer

5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    What he is saying is, most of loads on load boards are low pay. The reason they get put on load boards is because the pay is so low, they cant get normal carriers to take them.... so, they get posted on load boards. Then carriers like yourself who dont have any good shippers, are left with bottom paying loads... on load boards.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A book could be written on this question and not cover everything. The first thing you need to do is learn a few specific areas/regions - when they're hot and when they're not. There are no short cuts and no tricks - it takes time and patience.

Generally speaking it's better from a negotiating standpoint for them to be calling you and asking for your truck. You're pretty much perceived as begging when you call them and therefore the offers will mostly be lowball.

Is that all you ever do? Call and ask them about their loads? Do you not post your truck? If a market is pretty hot you can call inquiring on loads and feel out if the broker has deep pockets then get a good rate. That's the only time you can call them and get a great rate.

It's best to post your truck and just let them call you. But this doesn't work in a dead area. In a hot market your phone blows up and you can get a better rate. So put yourself in hot markets and have at it.

7. kf4pwb

kf4pwb Light Load Member

May 7, 2015
    Enter daily operating costs into a spreadsheet. Add up. Shoot for $175/day company profitability. Don't forget to pay the driver and replacement truck/truck 2 fund, among other expenses. Also dont forget that you will be operating 5 or 6 days per week for that truck but your fixed costs are monthly. This translates to about an extra 70$ for a multi day trip. Then check rates coming back out of that area. Target $1000/day gross revenue combined with $2.10/mile.

Call on load, ask for your price. Not higher than the price you need, just the price you need to satisfy above conditions. They will counter offer. Politely say, no thanks, I am going to check around. 60% of the time they cave right there. If not, keep calling. NEVER settle for less than your price.

Dan47 and trucking.shine Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    There are a lot of good paying loads on the boards.
    Plenty cheap rates that make me run empty out of certain areas also.

fargonaz and trucking.shine Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Lol that is such an amateur statement. Sometimes a month working of loadboards, can net you more than working two months for your regular customer.
    You can't tell your customer to pay you $6000 today instead of regular $3000, because market is hot, but working with loadboards you can. But also if market is slow today, your customer won't offer you $2000.
    It all comes to find what works best for you. I have a good direct shipper for Monday pickups, but I don't want to service him all week, because it will put pressure on me, to get any load to come back to him for Wednesday, while instead I can do a triangle and come back home with more money. It's not black and white the way you made it sound

Dan47, Shorthood, Plumb Crazy and 4 others Thank this.
  10. trucking.shine

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, pretty helpful.

I know you can find good loads, but my question was if someone had a strategy o technique to do this in a more efficient way than to call all the possible loads that pop up in a search. As I said, I know is part of the job but I'm looking for ways to optimize my daily tasks.

11. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Focus only on certain markets. It’s easy to fall into the trap of taking whatever load pays the best and you end running every which way. When you have 3k trucks you can do that, not one. I run the same lanes over and over and as a result I load with the same brokers a lot. I don’t post my truck. I call up the regular people I pull for and service those lanes only. I hit the load board for in between loads to position me back for one of my regular lanes. Build a good relationship with a brokerage office out of your home market so you have a strong headhaul base. I load out of AR with the same guy every time for good rates.

TallJoe and rollin coal Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.