Second guessing myself on a semi 5th wheel

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Jan 10, 2021.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    That's why I'm having a shop do the trailer so they can certify it. The 1st sentence in my 1st post was saying I have a shop that will do my trailer mods.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Idahojoel

Idahojoel Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Phoenix Arizona
    Seen a few pickups And medium duty like that with a full-size fifth wheel plate do your thing it’s not to big and will outlast the truck in that application. I think it’s a great idea and that trailer sounds sweet post a picture when you get it back.

are you going to utilize a slider or just fixed

WOT and crocky Thank this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Dude.. He did exactly what you can't do.. He cut the frame in half in 2 places and rewelded it and wasn't an authorized shop that can re-certify it and he had his DOT number plastered all over his videos. I already saw the video and I knew he was gonna get in trouble putting that #### on youtube..

My trailer mod that I'm having "A TRAILER SHOP DO" doesn't even get into cutting the frame.. The gooseneck is getting shortened and replaced with a different design that I've come up with. The trailer will be recertified by the "Professional trailer builder" I'm using who has built trailers for our local county mosquito control office among many, many other places for the last 30 years.

The shop actually builds flat deck trailers so umm yeah they know what they are doing. They just aren't a big name but have been in business for over 30 years. And yes.. they are even certified to DOT inspect their own trailers...

For example.. this is a trailer they just built to order for a different customer.. so you don't have to worry, I have qualified guys who are gonna do the mod..

21950046_1446663782065710_5047784944601026306_o.jpg

The world isn't gonna stop spinning because I'm having a professional shop do some modifications to a trailer I bought and own. The DOT isn't going to send the drones out to blow up my house because I have some trailer work done by a shop....

5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida

Wound a Little tight are we .

6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    It will be fixed. I will drill extra holes in the mounting brackets so I have the ability to move it forward or to the rear a few positions if I need to but doing it requires unbolting every thing to slide it all so wouldn't be anything I'd do on the fly just if I find I'm generally heavy on 1 axle or the other.

7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Well let us see, we have 2 pages of guys crying about the trailer mod and only 2 guys who actually replied to what the post is about.

8. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019

Use what you bought. Keep it greased and worry less about the hitch being a weak point on your setup.

Lite bug and crocky Thank this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I’ve seen a few 550 sized trucks with a heavy duty 5th wheel. It will certainly last longer than any light or medium duty setup. For serious commercial hauling it’s a pretty good idea IMO. Plus they can be had inexpensivley from truck parts recyclers.

10. Steve6514

Steve6514 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Until you get into an accident and start dealing with insurance companies and attorneys ....but You are sure that none of them are as sharp as you?...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.