Securement Overkill?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by angrytrans, Sep 9, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    even though i do not do flat bed, i can absolutely recall what my instructor said to the class back in the late 70's....

"it's your load, do what you want, not what others do, cuz if there is an accident, they come after YOU not that guy in the truck stop".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    Re: friction mats- they are required under vertical, palletized coils. Other configurations they are an option but the coil rack has to be secured to the deck somewise somehow, according to FMCSA guidelines.

Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 5: Metal Coils

I run a lot of coils and wouldn't go without friction mats, ever. They're good for 50% WLL laterally I believe. ####'s sticky.

brsims and jamespmack Thank this.
  4. JH001

JH001 Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I’m new, but I haul coils all the time. My company’s thing is what’s required plus one. 45k needs 5 chains for the DOT “plus one for the family”.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    The other day I was hauling double T's (those big concrete "floors") on a stretch trailer. First time ever for those (60's long, 12' wide) and the #1(senior) guy in the company was out there too so i actually got some advice/training.

And after securing these down he says to me "always remember, it's your load, you do what works for you, take everyone's advice into account, but basically you get secure so you are comfortable no matter what anyone else says"

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was picking up skidded coils at some place. Got loaded and pulled up to next to some Euro guy in the "securement" area. I put three tie downs on the coils and this guy was talking smack between me and his buddy he was talking to on the phone. "ohh he is scared" (needing more than one tiedown per coil), blahh blahh.
    Lol, I was done, tarped and gone, before this joker had his tarps over the load and he was there before I was. :tard:

People talk too much. Don't worry about them. Just do what you are comfortable with, over kill is insurance.

Odin's Rabid Dog, cke, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Overkill. No such thing.
    You have to carry them straps and chains.
    Why not put it on the load?

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Overkill. No such thing.
    You have to carry them straps and chains.
    Why not put it on the load?

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    U good driver, ppl just lazy as fck... Better to have to much securement then to regret it when it comes rollin thru ur bunk

Odin's Rabid Dog and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.