Securing that vehicle, help!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DMPCarrier, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    Is the e trak rated at 2000 for the entire track ?
    Or is that the rating for each connector hole ?

If it’s the entire track couldn’t you just use a lot of short tracks ?

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I couldn't tell you, but even still 8k securement isn't enough for most 3/4 ton & up 4wd trucks. It would be ok for little cars but I wouldn't trust it on full-size trucks or vans.

5. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    I’ve seen a lot of haulers using the strap around the circumference of the tire

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    8B259449-49D9-4569-9435-7DA5A3BBA143.jpeg

took this pic yesterday
    Camera focused on the door glass but you can still see the strap hooked into the deck mesh
    Which I’m sure has no load rating at all , and im wondering if they have a backing plate or something to spread the load on the bottom of the decking

I see a lot of em done this way so it’s pretty common

Lite bug and crocky Thank this.
  7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I'm pretty sure that's backyard engineering and no, I don't believe that metal grate has the load capacity. It's just too thin, I looked at it s an option for my trailer but knew it was too weak by looking at it. The stuff the car trailer manufacturers use is like 1/8th inch thick expanded steel. Much more heavy-duty.

With that said.. I'm personally about to buy a Kaufman EZ 4 that has the heavy-duty flooring for over the wheel straps. I'm gonna park my current trailer because with current fuel costs I need to carry more cars. I found a good deal on a used EZ4 with all the upgrades so I'm hoping to switch to it in the new 2 or 3 weeks.

My fuel bill last week for a hotshot rig was $2,1k... That was a trip from MN to TX then up to MO then MI.

8. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Had an EZ4 style trailer from Texas Pride when I started out. I hated that trailer. You need a perfect load everytime to fill it up. Also, 3 large units on a low profile flat car hauler will earn you more than an EZ4 most of the time and can still fit 4 cars with flipouts. Also more aerodynamic, cheaper to buy and lighter so adds to fuel savings. Just my opinion.

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, I'll see how it goes. I still plan to have my other trailer modified or have one built from scratch,. This gives me a stop-gap though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.