seeking Central Refridg Orientation Info

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by GranaRig831, Mar 22, 2014.

1. GranaRig831

GranaRig831 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Ca.
    Hi all!
    I`m new to the Truckers-Report.....& also new to trucking industry,
    was previously a contractor in residential construction but it has been slow the last number or years so I was forced to close down shop & did a career change late in life,
    I have obtained my cdl from local private school back in June/2013 but no prior driving-experience driving big rigs & seeking to gain my exp with Central for 6-12mos since they seem to be a good starter co,

am out of Monterey county Ca. & pre-hired to attend orientation for Central Ref/Swift on Mar 31st supposedly in Fontana or in LA area I assume?(have been reading alot of reviews over the months & have recently read that facility will be closing),

so was wondering if some of you experienced drivers w/Central could give me some insight on what to expect.....far as "after" being upgraded to solo status?
    will I be running all 48 states?...meaning will they keep me on the East coast more often? or vise versa? or varies depending on customer-product demand?

If Fontana is closing do any of you know where will orientation be held for Calif hirees?, will there be a road test for all hirees at orientation?(what if I was trained & locally road-tested to "float" gear shifting...but I hear testing at orientation is mandatory double clutching and I have no practice?, if I fail due to this will they send me home?.... or will I be given a chance to practice & re-tested?)
    if I`m from Calif will I get a home base out of Calif?...like Lathrop?
    if not, when it comes to personal days off, will I be routed closer to home to be able to take my days off?

The Truckers Report and from what I`ve seen....many of you members have been very helpful in answering other newbie questions and appreciate any input or information you can send my way!
    Thanks, stay safe.... & keep on Truckin!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You have no choice but to double clutch for the test, they require it.
    My suggestion is to use the clutch while shifting like you normally do, since all it takes is to depress the clutch a mere 1 or 2 inches.
    Practice with a plunger stuck to the floor to get the timing right.
    In effect, you'll be 'faking' it.

Once you go solo you will probably run all 48 unless you manage to get something regional or dedicated.

I am based out of Otay Mesa because I used to live in San Diego. I have only seen the place maybe 4 times in over 3 years.
    Where you are based out of has no bearing on where you can take home time. Mine swap between Denver and St. Paul areas because I have family there. But you can take home time where ever you want, as long as there is freight to and out fairly close by (like 60-70 miles or so) and you have a safe and secure place to park the truck.

Where you spend most of your time varies from week to week and month to month.
    It just depends on where the freight is running from where you are at.
    I sometimes spend a lot of time in the eastern third; but this time, since coming off my last home time in Denver about 3 weeks ago, I've only been in the western third.

That won't change tomorrow as I am headed to Fontana.
    But it might from there. Just never know.

Since Central is now Swift, nothing is really Central anymore.
    You will be training as a Swift driver.

GranaRig831 Thanks this.
  4. GranaRig831

Mar 22, 2014
    Ca.
    Moosetek13, thank you for your feedback and I will try the plunger technique...when you suggest "to use clutch like you normally do" do you refer to... like in a regular car depressing & releasing the clutch for changing into every gear?
    Thanks again!

5. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    I have been kind of curious if Central new hires are going with any swift mentors. Ive heard central new hires are waiting weeks for a trainer. Not sure if it is a shortage of trainers on just centrals side, and theyre not sending them to swift mentors. or if there is a shortage of mentors accross swift and centrals board.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    No, I mean like you usually float them in the truck.
    But learn the motions and timing of double clutching, and just press the clutch pedal about an inch or two as you are shifting.
    Fake it.

As you let off the throttle and pull it out of gear, press the clutch in a bit for half a second or so.
    As you put it in the next gear do the same.

Or you could simply practice double clutching and do it correctly for the test.

GranaRig831 Thanks this.
  7. clayshot

clayshot Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2013
    near Philly, Pa.
    I went thru the school just before Swift took over. I had a trainer by the end of the day. I know there were numerous complaints from trainees {including myself} about trainers not doing their job. My impression was, they were weeding out some really bad trainers which might be the reason for the shortage.
    I heard couple horror stories first hand from guys that had to get off the truck out on the road. I'm sure that's not the norm, but it was/is some of their problem.

Since the Central side of Swift is a reefer company, I would doubt many, if any of the trainers you might see would be Swift. Not to sound completely negative, my 2nd trainer was a very nice guy. I already knew how to drive, I spent most of my time learning the operational side the job. That said, I was glad to have the chance to drive during miserable winter conditions with somebody that was experienced.

GranaRig831 and Buckeye91 Thank this.
  8. GranaRig831

Mar 22, 2014
    Ca.
    Buckeye91, how long ago did you hear that central new hires were waiting for weeks?
    if this is the case.... do you know if I would be sent home after orientation until a central trainer shows? or would I be expected to wait around in case one shows up within a day or two?

9. GranaRig831

Mar 22, 2014
    Ca.
  10. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    it was mentioned on another central thread on here. Maybe central truck stop 3? Don't remember which one. But the poster said that he was waiting for a couple days. And that they had just brought people in from Fontana that had been waiting for 2 weeks there. I think you have the option of going home. Couldn't tell you though.

11. Trygg

Trygg Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2014
    The West
    I got my trainer the very next day after getting my cdl down there in Fontana. I've been out for a week now, let's see I believe it was 2 fridays ago that I took off with him.

He's a central refrigerated trainer and I'm his first trainee. I've been keeping in contact with all the guys I went to the school with down there and most of them are now out on trucks, but they all had to wait at least 4-5 days past when I got my trainer.

I don't know why I got so lucky. But it worked out. A few guys I heard were sent to Salt Lake City to get trainers so they didn't have to wait.

My trainer and I are on a dedicated route and were getting some pretty long mile runs.

Right now I'm sending this stuck on the 70 east in Pennsylvania waiting for them to clear up a traffic accident. Been here for almost 2 hours now. :biggrin_25510:

Thinking about firing up a grill and cooking some burgers. :biggrin_255:

GranaRig831 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.